Monday, August 27, 2007

I Am Still Shaking My Head

Years ago, and I'd tell you how many but I can't remember, my husband built an all-steel car trailer 21 feet in length so that we had something to use whenever we found an old Mustang or two and needed to haul it home. Because it was hand-built, in order to get a title for it we had to follow the state's instructions. Back then it wasn't that difficult. If I remember correctly, all we had to do is take pictures of all four angles, fill out their form, send a check and we soon had a brand new title in our hands. We pay $6.00 a year for renewing the registration.

On Friday, as I was enjoying being home alone with my two cats and my husband was shopping for whatever it is men shop for, the doorbell rang. That doesn't happen too often these days, but when it does the cats run and hide, and I cuss at whoever it is that's at the front door. I answered the door. It was a male around 35 years of age or so that was inquiring about the trailer that we have for sale. I told him my husband wasn't home, so the man gave me his name and phone number.

He then went on to ask me about the trailer, like how much we were asking for it and things like that. Since I don't know the asking price, I told him all I know is that it is all steel and was hand built by my husband. He then asked if we had a title for it and I told him we did, that it was a special fabricatioin title. As he was leaving, he asked that I have my husband call him as soon as he got home.

When my husband walked in the door, I gave him the message and he called the man. I wasn't really listening to the conversation but at one point I did hear my husband tell him what we had been offered for the trailer, so I can only assume he had asked how much we were asking for it. When my husband hung up the phone he grumbled something about what a jerk that guy was.

I asked him why was he a jerk? He said he thought the price was way too high and he didn't even want to buy the trailer in the first place. OK, so I'll bite...what DID he want? My husband said that all he was interested in was the title. At that point, I truly believe you could have picked my mouth up off the floor and all those other goodies people say when they are totally flabbergasted. Apparently it is a little more difficult to get a title for something hand built these days.

I thought I was on this earth long enough to have heard a lot of weird things, but that one takes the cake. So what did he think we were going to do, hand the title over to him and throw the trailer away? Who raises these people and where the hell do they get their thinking from? Yes, I am still puzzled at that one.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

welcome to the world of redtape and regulations..if you want to do something there is always a law or regulation that you have to hurdle...I got a warning from the county that the reflector on my mailbox at the end of the laneway wasn't to spec and I would be fined 50 bucks if I didn't change it in 48 hours..who the hell would right a by law with specs for a driveway reflector????? the title is the same thing they have made it so you have to many stupid hoops to jump through to get a title..so people buy old trailers just to avoid the hassle and interogation by the red tape brigade...

Peruby said...

I never heard of such a thing!

Ralph said...

Well, that is one of the weirdest things I have heard in awhile.
Ralph

Jim said...

I have a '50 Ford you can buy for 10K, with a title. Then throw that Ford away and register your homebuilt Ford look-alike.
In Texas you can't sell a car to the junk yard without a title certificate.
..

Jim said...

Oh yes, I haven't seen you peeking (or leaving a comment) over where I am now.
Until October for sure.
http://jimmiehov6.blogspot.com/
..

Cheyenne said...

I have since found out that he thought we would sell the trailer cheap so that he could use the title and then junk the trailer. Well, he found out different in a hurry.

Jim: I will be over at your blog when you come back from where ever it is you are. lol