I guess by now those of you who are following my husband's progress are probably wondering just how I am handling all this so far. You're not? Well, I'm going to tell you anyway.
I feel like I have a new name: "Hey-hon-get-me" and I am wondering what that translates to in any given language.
In English, for me, it translates to Why must you always wait till I am settled anywhere, or in the middle of doing something, before you ask me to get you something?
That was how it was the first 3-1/2 weeks. By the fourth week, things got a little better. I wasn't running so much, and he wasn't vocalizing so much from the pain. I was hearing noises I never heard before and at times I felt like I was living with a caveman with all those grunts and groans. Just try and watch one of those deep and profound detective shows on TV while all that's going on. Clues? What clues?
Yeah, three weeks of craziness. Craziness I had forgotten about from the first time he had his knee replaced three years ago. At least then I wasn't subjected to a lot because after staying home the first week he came out of the hospital, I went back to work. Blissful. This time there was no escaping it.
In time, all of this will go away and be forgotten, hopefully. The good thing is that he can drive now and that takes a big burden off my shoulders. I like having a chauffeur.
He is currently in rehab and has to go three times a week for at least four weeks before another checkup with the surgeon. I have been going with him each time, but I think it is soon time to cut the apron strings and let him go by himself. After all, he is a grown man, and my Fridays are filled with lots of racing on TV. And you know what I say about my NASCAR: Nothing comes between me and it. Nothing.
8 comments:
I know how you feel about being called upon when you sit down and get comfy! Happens to me all the time. I try not to be grouchy about it!!
In your case, I'd cut those apron strings now!!
You remember me in the big chair when my knee/leg was in the immobilizer. I had the walkie talkies all charged up and with strict orders for Mrs. Jim to carry hers at all times. That worked good.
My next thing: Watch Hubby real good at the rehab. I sure hated it when Medicare said I had had enough, all they would pay for.
It was like going to the club. Hand massages, lots of chatter, I guess I was like an 'insider' as they shared with me the eating delights they had in the back room.
One day a couple of Hooter Girls dropped in with two sacks full of Buffalo Wings. I sure did eat my share (after the Hooter Girls left).
The wings were samples, just to remind us they were 'just around the corner.' Likewise for the pizza parlor next door, except their delivery was made by a little Italian fellow (Joe) not in the Hooter costume.
Have fun! I know you are enjoying relinquishing the driving. My knee ortho doc said I could drive anytime, but if it were him, he would only drive when he felt it would be safe to take the grandkids along.
..
I am glad to hear that things are starting to get back to normal. Now it is your time for a break. Maybe hint to hubster tickets to Pocono or maybe a vacation in July in Daytona.
As far as what I see in Shrubs, he is fun as hell to watch drive. That is until he trys to hard to push the envelope. He will grow up and when he does you may see greatness. Until then I hope that it isn't just me and his mother rooting him along.
Cheyenne, if he waits for you to get comfortable before he calls upon you for help, he must have learned that from the cats.
Tiredawg, you aren't the only one, I feel the same way you do. Just when we think he is growing up, he makes another checkers or wreckers move, but I do think when he does mature, we will see greatness. He reminds me very much of another "out of control" driver you may remember--Tim Richmond.
Rachel ~ done deal
Jim ~ we have walkie talkies, but that is just as bad. I'm afraid I don't take orders too well. This too shall pass.
Tiredawg ~ Pocono is out of the question. We went years ago and it wasn't a pleasant experience. And to top it off Geoff Bodine won the race. He was my most unliked driver at the time.
RevJim ~ Yes, you hit the nail on the head. I am servant to all creatures in this house. They trained me well.
Post a Comment