The headline in my newspaper states: Call 811 Before Digging This Spring.
I can understand calling them if you have a large project that will cover a large area. Or if you have no idea where any lines might be buried or whatever else they are wanting you to avoid messing up.
First you have to call 811 several days in advance. And don't you dare put your shovel into the ground before you do. Then they go on to collect the necessary information for your area and notify the local utility company of your intent to dig.
This is really a big deal. So don't be smirking there on the other end.
Once you make the call, a professional locator will visit your dig site and mark the approximate location of all underground lines etc. In our case there are no underground utility lines other than the one that was recently laid for our wind turbine and we know where it is.
The article goes on to say that even if you are putting in a mailbox, call 811. If you're planting trees or shrubbery? Call 811. Installing a fence? Call 811. I can understand calling them if you are putting in a reasonably sized patio or deck, or even a large garden for that matter, but that mailbox has me a bit baffled. But that's just my opinion; I am certain there are reasonable arguments as to why calling them really matters. Especially if one moves into a newer development. We are in a rural area, we don't have underground utility lines. So when I first read that article it really tickled my funny bone. As a matter of fact, I am still tickled by it every time I read it. Yes I know, I find humor in the dumbest things.
Now...I am going to be getting bulbs this Fall and need to plant them where other plants are currently growing in the front of my yard. They are in a confined area, lined with landscaping stones. Tell me, do I need to call 811?
No comments:
Post a Comment