Thursday, October 14, 2010

2010: Banner Year For Area Wineries

In 1969 our state legislature allowed Pennsylvania to enter into the winery business, and as a result we now have approximately 125 vineyards statewide. The state has about 14,000 acres of grapes and ranks 4th nationally in the amount grown and 7th in wine production.

The Lehigh Valley area was found to be excellent for growing grapes, and we now have nine family-owned wineries in the Valley.

The hot, dry summer we had was excellent for grapes. As a result, they are honey-sweet and just the right firmness. I cannot wait to taste this year's crop, but I will have to wait till next year.

Besides selling wine right at the wineries, they are allowed to also sell at up to five retail outlets, all festivals, and they can make direct sales to restaurants. I prefer to buy direct from the winery and do so on many occasions during the year.

My favorite is Vynecrest with Clover Hill a close second. Clover Hill recently celebrated their 25th anniversary this past summer and for one weekend they offered a 25% discount off all their wines. No, you don't have to ask...I most certainly did stock up with that deal.

I have more pictures that I took but I can only find one that I was able to post. My recent fiasco with losing photos on my memory card have left my photo library in disarray and I do apologize for that.



As much as I love wine, I allow myself to have 4 ounces with dinner when I cook a meal for us. That amounts to approximately four to five glasses per week. I'd drink the entire bottle at one sitting if I could but those darn calories get in the way.

1 comment:

Grandma K said...

You are being so good!