Thursday, June 27, 2013

Our Girl Dakota-Sioux

 Napping
 Playful
 Posing
Posing again.

She is the only four-legged female in the house but she rules with an iron fist.  Our three boys know where they stand with her.  

She will be seven years old later this Fall.  Dakota was acquired from a local shelter along with her brother, Junior.

For the longest time, Dakota was very stand-offish and aloof.  She did not give two figs about who we humans were as long as the food, water, and treats kept coming.  Eventually she developed a strange growth in her right ear.  A trip to the vet, an overnight stay for surgery, and a few days later she was back home with us.

Dakota became a different cat after her surgery.  She transformed into a very loving cat, one that wanted to be with me a lot more than before. 

Today she is the most affectionate cat in the house.  She lays with me at night on the recliner while we watch TV.  Well, I watch...she snoozes.  Prior to her falling asleep she makes biscuits (kneads me), and then she settles in for a nap.

Dakota is quite the talker, too.  Maybe that's because she's a female?  When she wants something she lets me know and does not give up till she gets her way.  I usually know what she is asking for, but there are times I don't know and then she gets frustrated.  Hey, I do my best.  I do not speak cat but I sure do try. 

6 comments:

MarkD60 said...

We have six cats, three are "petable" three won't let you pick them up. There's nothing I like better than holding a purring cat.

Judy said...

My Maggie was like Dakota at first--now, after two years, she will ALLOW me to pet her--for awhile. She does now lay on the foot of the recliner and naps. My Buddy, on the other hand, is the most affectionate cat I have ever known. He lays in forehead up against my shoulder and sighs. At night, Maddie stays on the foot of the bed and Buddy lays down up by my pillow, puts his head on my arm and goes off to sleep. I love these two beasties with all my heart!!

Peruby said...

That is so weird about her becoming loving after the surgery. Maybe she was in pain or something because of the growth? Who knows?

We have one that was stand offish, but is affectionate now, too.

You just have to wonder.

Marti said...

That's the way my Buddy was too. After his surgery, he decided he wanted to live here with us and he now loves being a lap cat.

Grandma K said...

She is so beautiful!

My Shadow isn't really aloof, he just doesn't want to be held in any shape or form. He will sleep next to you with his head on you, but don't try to put him in your lap. He becomes all teeth then!

Jan said...

Cats are fantastic company - I love it when they try to have a 'proper' chat with us. I always miaow back... goodness knows what I'm saying!!! Jx