I should be horsewhipped for not writing more often. I have been very busy purging things from this house and I am far from being done. One room in particular has been the center of my attention. That is what we call the middle room. It could also be referred to as the attic we don't have. Once we moved into this house that room became the place that we stored things we thought we would use some day, also things we got tired of using, and things that just didn't fit into the current scheme of any room. The you-go-in-here-until-I-am-ready-for-you room.
The sad thing is I never got to the point of needing anything once I chucked it in there. I could open the door into the room and step into it and maybe walk a tiny bit but that was as far as I could go. Not any more. I am finding things that make me shake my head wondering what the hell was I thinking when I put those things in there. Boxes of this and boxes of that and some that don't make any sense at all. Well guess what? It is really a lot of fun throwing them out now.
It has also been a summer from hell as far as my husband's health is concerned.
He has an appointment for a colonoscopy Tuesday. To bring us to this point in time for that test has been a long, long journey that started at the end of May when he complained about lower abdominal pains. One thing led to another: first an ultrasound and then a CT scan which revealed far more than we were willing to accept. He saw a urologist and a gastroenterologist, but this colonoscopy hopefully will be the end of the journey. In between everything else he has also seen his cardiologist which brought good news because nothing has changed from the same tests he had a year ago.
I am here now to apologize for being negligent. I will try to do better. Once we get the results back from this last test and they are good results, perhaps I will be in a better mood to write about other things that are more upbeat.
Why did I finally attack the superfluous items in this house? Well, when you get slapped up side the head with possible bad news you go into a frenzy and try to keep yourself busy. My husband made it over one hurdle (perhaps one of the hardest hurdles there is) and now we are hoping he makes it over another.
And to make things more interesting, my husband finally decided it was time to get rid of all our vintage Mustangs (six of them ranging from 1965 to 1972) as well as all the Mustang parts he has accumulated over the years. Everything will be auctioned off the beginning of October. He hand built a two story garage (I always called it a barn) by himself (I helped as much as I could) that measures 32 ft. by 48 ft. We managed to concrete half of it inside and never had the gumption to do the other side. The Mustangs have been housed in there on the first floor with all the parts and other things on the second floor for many years. When we started accumulating Mustangs and parts it was with the idea that when my husband retired he would have something to work on. That never materialized due to his knee replacement, another knee replacement on the same knee, and then a partial replacement of the second replacement. I know!
Like I said in the beginning of this, it has been one heck of a summer. Seeing doctors, having tests, waiting for results...I guess you could say it was the summer I never had.
2 comments:
When I move, not all the boxes ever get unpacked, then I find weird stuff years later.
Best of luck with your husband. I just had a colonoscopy less than a month ago. All clear for me, hope it's the same for your husband.
The realization that perhaps we are dealing with a terminal disease, or even getting into old age, can spur us on to "cleaning up our lives." I have been downsizing for the last 3 years. I have found out, it is much easier to live simply--less stuff makes that possible!
Post a Comment