Thursday, December 31, 2015

Goodbye 2015, Hello 2016

I will start this post off with a political statement.  As to the above statement -- we cannot afford to take the same path.  We cannot afford to have another Democrat in the White House who will continue on with the current president's way of thinking.  And there is no one out there that can convince me otherwise.

Okay, off of my soapbox.  As I have stated before, I don't like odd years (2015) but I do like even years (2016).  And yet, I can't sit here and say one year was worse than the other or vice versa.  Each year has had its ups and downs.

For the past two years we have had a lot of downs...and have brought ourselves back up each time.  I am speaking about my husband and his health issues.  As of now all is well.  But that could change over the course of this coming year.  Knock on wood, we hope things stay calm.  Drama has become my middle name.  And it also explains why I haven't been posting very much lately.

I chose not to make my husband's health issues public because I had not told my daughter what was going on...I felt she had enough on her own plate to not have to worry about her step-father too.  However, she was told when she was here the day after Christmas.  

Now that the new year is approaching (and quite fast I might add), there are several things on my list that must get done.  For one, I have to get my eyes examined and a new pair of glasses.  I used to wear contact lenses but gave up on those after I no longer had to work anywhere.  Glasses became so much more convenient.  I also have been putting off going to the dentist.  I felt that my last dentist was just taking advantage of me since I had no dental insurance and they just love a cash-paying customer.  So I stopped going.  I never liked that dentist (female) and was only going there because my regular dentist retired and this new one took over the practice.  I am not a fan of "chain" dentistry.  I prefer a dentist with no other ties and works alone.

There are a few other things that need to be done but I must learn to take one day at a time, one step at a time.  

NASCAR was not a good year.  Well, it was until Dale Earnhardt Jr. was taken out of the Chase at the end of the year.  I am not a fan of this new Chase format simply because a driver gives his all the entire season only to be taken out in the last races and can no longer qualify for the championship.  NASCAR started treating racing like football -- having their kind of playoffs and to me it just doesn't make sense to do it that way.  Football has a team, just like baseball etc., and that entire team is responsible as to whether they make the playoffs or not and NASCAR has one driver who is basically solely responsible for winning any race and making the playoffs (the Chase).  

Football was very unkind for me in 2015.  I have always been a fan of the San Francisco 49ers but when they have one bad year after another I kind of lose interest.  They brought aboard a young quarterback by the name of Colin Kaepernick and I was absolutely thrilled with the way he played.  But for some reason in 2015 his best receivers were no longer there and the entire year went down the drain.  Colin was sidelined with an injury for the remainder of the season and now it looks like he won't be back with the 49ers in 2016.

My NY Giants however were almost as bad.  They tried all year long but one thing after another kept tripping them up.  They, too, lost a lot of good players but new ones came along and made their way into our hearts.  They stood a chance to make the playoffs until the Eagles lost to the Redskins and when that happened the Giants' season was over.  Sadly, I lost interest in football at that point.  Like I always say though...next year will be better.

Back in the mid-80's I started following the career of Billy Idol, a punk rocker from the UK.  He went on to record hit songs such as Rebel Yell, White Wedding, Dancing With Myself...and a lot of others.  I have been following him ever since and last year he released his autobiography, Dancing With Myself.  He wrote the entire book by himself having taken six years to get it done.  It is an excellent read about what he went through to get from Point A to Point B in his life.  Billy (William Broad) recently turned 60 and he is still going strong doing concerts all over the world.  He is loved by many people world-wide.  He will be making his Las Vegas debut this coming March and May.  I was at his concert in Philadelphia in 1984 but I sure as heck would love to see him again.

I am going to stop here as this is getting far too long.  I will leave you with the idea that hopefully I will be writing more as the new year goes by.

1 comment:

Judy said...

I sure agree with you on the political issues. It gets real scary and honestly? I'm afraid it is going to get worse in 2017. I love that you are such a sports fan. I like to post about the teams I follow, but most women aren't all that into sports and it takes too much explaining on my part, for them to get it. I had a devastating loss with my Michigan State Spartans on New Year's eve. Alabama with their 5th year, NFL ready players took us to the mat and kept us there. However, it is on to Basketball and we've got a great team this year. I don't follow NASCAR too much anymore. That was Fred's thing more than mine.

Please--get to the dentist and the eye doctor. That's the big expense I had in 2015, but glad I took care of it.

I don't know what your husband is suffering from, but I DO KNOW how that can wear YOU out and scare YOU to pieces. I'm glad you told your daughter. At least you now have someone you can share your thoughts and fears with.

I hope you DO post more. I enjoy reading your thoughts.