Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Six Of One Half A Dozen Of Another


Last year as each week passed by it was Let's see if Dale Jr. can win this week. This year that has been replaced somewhat with Let's see if the race is going to be exciting. Some have been exciting, but for the most part the rest of them were either boring or the winner wasn't very likeable. And you know who I am talking about. Hint: he has won 3 races ~ and I don't mean Carl Edwards.

We are dealing with a whole new car that has changed tremendously all the way around. The drivers haven't changed...therefore, it must be the car's fault. The only driver happier than sh*t is the winner. You can see, hear and feel the frustration of the other 42 drivers. The losers.

I remember going through something like this years ago when Dale Sr. was alive. Both he and Jeff Gordon were the biggest complainers of the aero package given them by NASCAR. The car wouldn't perform, it plowed, they couldn't drive side by side, they couldn't pass and if one car got out front it would take off into the next zip code.

Sound familiar?

I'm all for safety of every driver on the track. Yes, even that one. But NASCAR needs to step up to the plate and make the car more competitive instead of playing follow the leader. I started watching races in the late 80's. And those were some races back then. We'll never see anything like that again. So I guess we just have to shut up and watch, huh?

I realize I will get backlash from this post. This is just my take on the car they race today. Even though racing was so much more exciting in the 80's and 90's, I realize it also was very dangerous. I will take the good with the bad. I also realize that I am contradicting myself so I'd better quit while I'm ahead. No wait, I'm not ahead either. OK, that's it, I'm finished.

4 comments:

Tiredawg said...

The cars are more difficult to drive, ALL drivers will tell you that. Then again back in the day, the cars had to be manhandled to drive. These drivers today have had nothing short of cars that practically drive themselves. Now they have to learn how to drive and tweak the car to make it preform better and make the driver drive better and know how to handle it better also. I remember back in the late 80's very well!!! Boxey cars with very little aerodynamics, until the Thunderchicken came in and the rest is history sort of. I believe that is when GM started with the aerocoupe Monte Carlo. I have a 87 SS and it does look boxey compaired to cars of today, even Wifey's mini-van looks sleeker. Ohhh that hurt to say that. Peace, Dawg

Chastity said...

This is unrelated to your written post...most pertaining to the picture. He switched sponsors at some point,right? I really preferred him in red. I'm not a fan of this outfit.

Cheyenne said...

Tiredawg ~ Sleek minivan is an oxymoron don't ya know?

Cheyenne said...

Chas ~ I love the green, it's my favorite color. Well, I also like purple and blue, but it was always green growing up. I was so tired of wearing red all the time with his other sponsor. I also didn't like Budweiser as the sponsor. His other new sponsor is blue so that is even better yet, I get to change colors.