My husband's two-month checkup was this past Monday a week ago with his knee surgeon.
Although it's been well over eight weeks since the operation, he still cannot walk too far without the knee swelling up like a balloon. It happens mostly when we go shopping right after his therapy session. His doctor said because this was a replacement of a replacement within three years' time, his recovery would be twice as long. All of my husband's questions were answered to his satisfaction and he was reassured that he was coming along quite nicely, something he tends to forget once in awhile.
He was taken off one painkiller and put on another one that isn't as potent. He was told he can now resume all activities (within reason) as long as his knee doesn't swell too much. Then his friend the ice pack will help him. Also, his therapy sessions were cut from three times to twice a week. They aren't free, folks, we still have to pay a $15 co-pay on each session. And last but not least, the cane is going to be banished to the darkest corner of our house once again.
Meanwhile, I cannot plan on going anywhere that includes a lot of walking yet. It's been that way now for at least the last 4-5 years. I feel like a prisoner at times, and I should be used to it but I'm not. Hopefully in another month things will be better when he has his three-month checkup.
Meanwhile, I have a lot to take care of with my own body. I recently had a checkup and bloodwork done. Let's just say, for now, it's not a pretty picture. I was shocked and scared with the results. Between my cholesterol being all out of whack and my blood pressure spiking again (doc said that may have been from not taking my meds that morning), I am about ready to give up. But I can't do that. Let me just say here that this was a huge wake-up call for me.
And that means I have only one way to go: diet with healthy foods and exercise on my treadmill. I can add here that I have since started both of those programs immediately after coming home from my appointment. I also have to take double my normal dosage of the statin med for my cholesterol. What upsets me the most is I had everything under control, but somewhere along the line things just went haywire.
And if all that doesn't work to bring me back to being semi-normal within three months at my next checkup (and more bloodwork), then I truly am in big trouble.
3 comments:
Don't give up!! I know you can do it!!
I'm glad to hear that your husband is doing better! Thanks for the update!
Hey Sistah C., glad to hear hubster is doing well. Keep up the good work and diet. We HAVE to keeps you healthy. What ever wouold I do if you got sick??? Luvs ya Dawg
Glad to hear your husband is doing better. Sorry about your news. I am not very good at taking care of me and I should do better, before I go one day and get the news that you got. I need to dust off the treadmill and get my walking shoes on! Yeah, I'll try to do better too!
Post a Comment