I used to hate Mondays more than I hated anything else. But I only hated them when I had to work. It's such a wonderful feeling now when late Sunday rolls around and I know I get to sleep in. When I was working and late Sunday rolled around I would slowly start to get ill. Really ill. But it had to be done and I forced myself to do it and went through the motions.
I hated Mondays for two very good reasons. One, I like my sleep and I don't like having to get up at an ungodly hour so I can prettify (my made up word) myself so I look good in other people's eyes. Sometimes. Maybe. The other reason I hated Mondays was a four letter word: work. For as much as I hated work I only missed three years and that's because I stayed home to raise my only child.
These days we sleep as long as we want to, eat when we feel like it, go away when the mood hits us, watch TV till we are bleary eyed, and I could go on and on. I just wish it were like this when I was younger and had a lot of get-up-and-go. Now, I get up and sit.
But I don't sit all day. That would drive me crazy. I do manage to get a lot done but there are days when nothing gets done. Those are the days when the pain is intolerable. But I do manage to get in at least a half hour of exercise in the basement using different kinds of equipment.
As much as I hated work I did my duty until one day a new manager decided he didn't like me so he would get rid of me. And then he got rid of my husband. We worked for the same company. And then that manager left the company for a few years. He's back there now but working in a different capacity. Now he's a regional manager. I would still like to castrate him. It's not that he wouldn't deserve it.
And on another note...
My favorite season is just getting started. We had a bit of summer for a few days but now we are enjoying Spring-like weather. Like everyone else across this country, the trees and flowers are blooming, the sun is shining, and I am happy as a clam. Why? I love Spring and I'm glad I don't have to be sitting in some office looking out the window and dreaming of the day when I wouldn't have to be sitting in that office looking out the window.
3 comments:
I raise my coffee to retirement! It sure sounds pretty good.
I thought the warm weather was too soon and I was not ready for it. I like the gradual entry into the heat.
Having been retired just short of two months now I have to admit - retirement is treating me well. The hardest part was adjusting to the weekends. For years, that was the only time to run to the lumber yard, get the car clean, etc. There are still some Saturdays I feel the urge to do these things, but then I just smile and realize I can do them any day during the week when there aren't as many people.
Ralph
I love, love, love my retirement. Now if I could just get my husband to retire, I could sleep as long as I like! Of course, we might have to live our waking hours in separate houses!
Post a Comment