Thursday, March 24, 2011

Here We Go Again

Husband's knee surgery date has been moved up twice since he got the original date, and it may change again if something else opens. He requested to be on the list of cancellations. He met with his surgeon yesterday. Today he had his pre-admission tests. And in four weeks his revision of the current replacement part(s) will be done. Doc thinks that only the tibia (lower) portion needs replacing. But if he thinks any other part is not right, he will make that call while the leg is open. That wasn't easy for me to write. I am very squeamish, to say the least. Health classes were the pits for me in high school. Especially when we had to sit on those rock hard chairs, it seemed as if my butt bones were sharper than usual during those classes.

Anyway, back to this knee surgery. I am not looking forward to this. I know the procedure too well as this will be his third surgery on the same knee. The fact that it will be done on Good Friday doesn't bother me. At least it is a non-race weekend so if he is released that Sunday (Easter) there will be no conflicting problems on my part. Yeah, I know...do I pick up the husband or do I watch the race? See? I won't have that problem. Unless, of course, they change his date again.

Now all we have to do is gather the necessary items the doctor and the hospital prefer we use before stepping foot into the facility the day of the operation. We've already purchased the special soap (anti-bacterial) from the surgeon's office. Next step is the iron which he is to take twice a day (325 mgs) as well as Senokot since the iron causes constipation. And then there is this new stuff we have to get via a prescription: it's an anti-bacterial gel that is put on a Q-tip and inserted into each lower nostril. It seems that the nose harbors the most germs. Centuries and decades later and they are just finding this out now? Sure we have good insurance coverage, but all these other odds and ends come out of our pocket.

I would so love to take a magic stick and flick it over my head so I could put myself seven weeks into the future. The four weeks of waiting would be over, the operation would be over, and the three weeks of heavy-duty rehab would be over. But that's too easy.

7 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marti said...

How odd. I have been trying to help dh with his google map, and when I commented on your blog, it said something about having to sign in after submitting the comment. Not unusual, as I never know when I'm signed in to my account, and have to sign in when I comment. But then it submitted with his name! So now you know his name.

And what I said was something like "Ewww, I'm squeamish too." and something else I've already forgotten. I hope they give him a case of pain pills to bring home; that sounds like something they would do on a science fiction show. Will he have bionic power in that leg afterward? Best wishes.

Peruby said...

Oh, that is so rough. I hope it goes quickly and smoothly for you.

Grandma K said...

Uhhg makes my knees twitch for him! I guess I was lucky - the hospital gave me the soap. The nose thing is new though.

I hope the surgery is short and sweet. The rehab is a pain, but, as you well know, is really does the trick.

Waiting is almost as bad as the procedure. Hope time passes quickly, and it is done.

Cheyenne said...

Marti ~ yes, he usually comes home with pain pill prescriptions. Not too strong but strong enough to help. He doesn't like those things and doesn't want to depend on them.

No bionic power, darn it.

Cheyenne said...

Peruby ~ Yes, I am hoping everything goes well because I am not very good at these things.

Cheyenne said...

Grandma K ~ Each day that passes brings us closer and that just makes me more nervous.

Once it is over and done with I will be in better shape. I hope.

Yes, rehab is a must...otherwise the operation will have been for nothing. Gotta keep that knee moving.