Thursday, July 28, 2011

Don't Tell Me What To Do ~ Ask First

I'm not one to take direction lightly. Unless you ask first, of course. If someone tells me what to do I will react accordingly and it ain't pretty. But if someone asks me, in a decent way, I will be more than happy to accomodate.

This has been a problem all my life. I am what many people call a loner. And that means that I prefer to be left alone, sometimes in my own little world. I get along with other people; it's just that I prefer to not only do things by myself, but to be left alone the majority of the time.

And looking back to my last job (yeah, that one...where I was cast aside like someone's half-eaten breakfast), that is what may have started some of the people in my office to not like me. I am the type that if I like someone I will most definitely talk to them. But if I do not like someone, I will go out of my way to ignore them. Of course, if spoken to, I will converse back. Just don't ask for it to be something profound. More often, it will only be my hidden politeness coming out. And that doesn't happen very often.

I have found that the older a person gets, the more ballsy they are. I am living testament of that. These days, there is hardly the person who will get ahead of me when it comes to conversation, or anything else for that matter. My best behavior comes out when I am on the phone. Call me at the wrong time, and they will not be happy they did. But the best is when I find an error in, perhaps, a bill from the our health insurance company or any health-related bill for that matter (and there are plenty of those these days because nobody seems to want to do their jobs right anymore), and I will practically rip them a new one.

No, I'm not a loner to the extent that you would call me a hermit. I do have a husband and three cats. I am quite normal, I think. I do talk on the phone and I can be civil. I don't cotton to stupidity much either. I had friends throughout my entire life. But it was always one close friend, and not several at a time. I can't handle too much of that friend stuff. It gives me a closed in feeling and I can't breathe. I like to have all the freedom I can get when I can get it, which is much of the time.

So there you have it; a little peek into my psyche. Aren't you glad you did?

*************************************************************
I wrote this and stored it away a few years ago. Since I haven't written anything in over a week, this will have to do until my brain stops cooking from all this heat and I can think once again.

6 comments:

Marti said...

I'm a lot like that too, except I really like being alone most of the time. When Hubby is gone on one of his trips, I can do what I want, when I want, eat, or not eat on any schedule. Heaven.

I've never liked to be told what to do either, which is why I don't join a lot of groups. I used to talk on the phone for hours, or at least one hour, but now I'd just as soon not talk on the phone at all.

Cheyenne said...

I am my father's daughter, as the saying goes, and I am carrying on his legacy because he was the same way. Amd I am very proud to be able to say that, too.

Grandma K said...

I fall into this category as well. Being an only child, I spent lots of time alone. I do well with that. So why in the heck did I decide to be a teacher? I have really enjoyed retirement, and I think it's because I can drop that persona.

Cheyenne said...

Grandma K ~ Oh dear God, a teacher: something I would never be able to do...I was so shy as a young'un and didn't come out of my shell till I was in my late 20's. I still can't stand in front of a crowd and talk to them as a speaker. I would just die.

Judy said...

I enjoy being alone. Some people tell me I need to volunteer or join a group--nah! I really like just to stay home and watch TV or play on the computer, read and cross stitch. I'm not lonely at all. Of course, I was an only child until age 13, so I was always my own best friend and my imagination kept me happy.

Anonymous said...

I have been Cheyenne's friend for 31 years. And let me tell you she is way to hard on herself. She is a generous , thoughtful, and dear friend. You can count on her and she always hs your back.

Sorry if I blew you cover kid.