Monday, June 11, 2012

I Thought I Was Dying

About a week or so ago I started having some weird and strange symptoms so I researched them on the Internet.  Yes, I have a very bad habit of doing that, but there are just some things I need to know...especially when it comes to my health.

I was having a bit of nausea, my upper arms hurt as well as my thighs, I developed a slight cough and one night I had what I thought was a slight sore throat.  I had trouble falling asleep, a lot of times sleep did not come till 4 or 5 in the morning.  I developed a stiff neck and that gave me a slight headache lasting more days than I care to think about.  It's still a bit stiff but at least the headache is gone.

On top of all of that, I got tired no matter what I did.  Sometimes I was physically exhausted.  

Saturday was the day we saw Crazy Hearts at the Lehigh Valley Zoo using the tickets I won from the local newspaper.  We took our chairs, found a decent spot to park our butts for the remainder of the night, and just took in all the scenery before the band played.  

It was still light yet when I looked at my one arm and noticed spots on it.  Prior to that my back was itching and I accredited it to mosquito bites.  I looked at my other arm and it too had spots on it.  Within a few hours the spots on my arms seemed to fade so I didn't think too much about it after that.

Once we got home and I looked in the mirror, I was horrified.  My cheeks were bright red, and my chest and back were far worse than my arms had been.  I immediately jumped into the shower and after I dried off,  I applied anti-itch cream all over.

All I can say is thank goodness for the Internet.  I suspected it was the antibiotic I had just finished taking on Friday night, a day before the concert.  And I was right.  I am allergic to sulfa drugs.  Just one more thing to add to my resume of stupid things that happen to me as I get older.

I didn't take my camera along, but here is a file photo of the band we saw: 


 

6 comments:

Peruby said...

I remember well my reaction to old penicillan. I had the rash, the itching but my face swelled up to where my Mom said it looked like I had the mumps.

I had to make a quick trip to the ER so that we could catch it before it stopped my breathing.

That was 1979. Every single dr. visit - allergic to penicillan. Every single time.

Hope your dilemma is over and you are feeling better.

Cheyenne said...

Peruby ~ My face did swell but only my cheeks and they got bright red like I had a really bad sunburn. That was yesterday. Today things seem to be settling down. The rash is fading.

Grandma K said...

I'm really glad the reaction stopped at just the spots. These reactions can kill! Take care of yourself.

Cheyenne said...

Grandma K ~ Yeah, I guess it could have been a lot worse. But even what I experienced it was enough to scare the bejesus out of me. I am not used to getting rashes and all that went with what happened.

Marti said...

Wow, good thing you didn't keep taking it. I've had some reactions to medications and all I have to say is God Bless the Internet!

Cheyenne said...

Marti ~ I was on a ten-day regimen and the rash broke on the 11th day do I was finished taking the pills.