Thursday, August 09, 2012

A Day Alone

I don't get many days alone but when I do I try to take advantage of them and get a lot of work done.  During the summer husband goes to an auction every other week.  Sometimes it is three weeks in between and I look forward to my "day off."

What I mean by that is some days off I don't do a lick and just laze around and play on the computer or do light things that amuse me.  Other days off I get a lot of work done in the house.  Today is an in-between day.  I accomplished getting a lot of paperwork done and a few other lighter things.  Nothing heavy is on the agenda.

My memory foam mattress topper arrived this morning.  It is currently spread out on the floor and recovering from the tightly wound state it arrived in.  I cannot wait to sleep on it.  I have a three-inch topper on the bed now but it has long seen its better days and I am hoping it is the cause of my back pain escalating over the past few months.  The new topper is four inches thick.  Hopefully by Saturday night I will be sleeping on it.  And hopefully my back pain will subside somewhat.  I don't expect the pain to go away all together but the soreness I now have every morning is getting a little old.

Three years ago I had X-rays done on my lower back and it was determined I have degenerative disc disease...that is when I realized my trips to the chiropractor would not be doing me any favors so I stopped going.  Prior to having those X-rays done, I used to have lower back pain on a daily basis but not as bad as it is now.  It has only gotten worse within the past three months, so I really  am hoping the foam topper will work to my advantage.  Otherwise, I am at a loss as to what to do.  I suppose I will just take it one day at a time as usual.

On another note, three of my cats are celebrating their birthdays.  Yesterday, the 8th, Junior and Dakota were 6 years old.  Today is Punkin's third birthday.  Eli will be a year old next month on the fourth.  We don't do anything special for them, although we did get a certificate from our local pet store for a toy for one of them.  They all play with all the toys we have so it doesn't matter that four cats are only getting one toy.  They really don't know the difference.

I am quite glad for the moment that the weather has tamed down somewhat.  Instead of knocking at the 100's or baking in the 90's, we are having mid-80 temps.  We just survived Heat Wave #6 and I pray there will not be a #7 but those meteorologists like to drive me insane so I will be on the lookout for that #7.  What really bothers me the most is the thunderstorms that come with high heat.  Especially the ones that have high wind velocities and/or hail.  Lightning makes me insane, too.  Thunder is not so bad, other than the fact that lightning usually follows it.

Now I can get back to my "light duty" day.
 

2 comments:

Karen said...

First, I love your new look! Nice.

Second - I await for news about the mattress topper with baited breath. We have the same problem with our backs.

Third - Happy Birthday to the kitties!

AND last, but certainly not least, I am so glad you have weathered the heat waves. I hope it is your last for the year.

Cheyenne said...

Karen ~ Thanks for the nice words about my blog change.

There are so many people with back problems these days, it is a wonder we are all still walking upright.

No, I doubt that was our last heat wave. It is August...and we all know what happens in August in these parts. Heat!