Monday, July 29, 2013

It Happened Again

How many times can one person's credit card be hacked and used?  It happened again for me just a few days ago.  It all started when my husband and I returned from doing errands and found two phone calls on our service.  I called the credit card company and got everything straightened out.  But first I went into the card company's website to check and see what charges were on there that didn't belong and then I called them.

I don't know how it's done, but someone had my card number and used it at a T@co B3ll store in Cypress, CA, at 11:00pm for $14 and change.  That is what showed on my account.  That same person went to the T@rget store close by, apparently right after eating their free meal, and tried to charge the card with another $45 and change.  Apparently that was declined, so someone was on the ball doing their job.  

I live on the East Coast.  I have never set foot in a T@co B3ll store and I visit our T@rget a few times a year.  Maybe 2 or 3 times.  I have never been to California.  I was furious when I found out about these charges.  The credit card company has already wiped the one off that was on (and it was pending).  They not only called me, they also emailed me.  A new card is on its way and my account is clean.  

Last year my debit card number was used in another state as well.  It's very hard to keep up with thieves.  It's very hard to get accounts straightened out once something like the theft of a card number is stolen and used.  It's also very sickening.  And it keeps happening.  This is about the 3rd or 4th time for me.

On another subject, I had my renal ultrasounds done this morning and also gave more blood (without having to fast) at another place.  Now the worst part:  waiting for the results.  The blood test results will be mailed to my home and I should have them by the weekend, if not then on Monday.  I have to call my doctor for the ultrasound results.  I will drag my feet on that and maybe wait till next Tuesday when I know he is in his office and I am more braver then.
 

8 comments:

MarkD60 said...

How do you suspect they get your card number? If it was local, you could suspect a store employee where you used your card, but in different states?

Peruby said...

Wow. I have never been a victim. Knock on wood.

I've been reading up on this.

It sounds as if someplace you frequent often is skimming your card.

Maybe try using your card as credit more - requiring a signature rather than a PIN?

Cheyenne said...

Peruby ~ That particular card never left my house. I only use it for Amazon purchases since the card is through them and Visa. There are people constantly trying to get Amazon's card holders' info and at times they succeed, as in my case.

Cheyenne said...

Markd60 ~ I answered your comment on your blog.

Judy said...

I got a phone call from Discover that told me someone had tried to use my car to fill up with gas in California. I have heard that all people need to do it walk past you and they can swipe your numbers, while your card is in your wallet. you need to encase your cards in a special lead covered little envelope like thingie. I rarely carry any credit cards, so how they got mine was a mystery.

Cheyenne said...

Judy ~ That card doesn't leave the house. My other cards are stacked together in a holder in my purse so it's difficult to be scanned by someone trying to do that. They get your number by hacking into sites online, wherever people use a card to order goods. It can be anywhere online, as long as they can get their hooks into numbers they will take them, make fake cards, and be on their merry way.

Grandma K said...

We went to dinner with my daughter and son in law. The next day, we got a call from our credit card company about suspicious charges - five in a grocery store not far away for right under a total of $500. Today she got a call from Discover. She has two charges - one to Victoria's Secret in Florida for $600+ and another similar one. Obviously from the restaurant. And it is an upscale restaurant. The police/sheriff have been notified, and the manager of the restaurant also who has pledged to work with the authorities. The downside is having to change all the things that are automatically charged to that card! Bummer Sorry about you getting hacked.

Cheyenne said...

It happens to the best of us, and we don't even know how or when. Cyber hacking has become quite the business.