Spring decided to make its debut at our house less than a week ago. My daffodils were poking through the ground and today there are buds on some of the plants. Those will be opening very shortly because the weather has been just wonderful these last two days. However, we will get a sort of cold spell the middle of next week where the temperature is supposed to drop to the low 30's.
Once again I waited till almost the last minute to do our taxes. It's a job I dislike and yet it is quite easy once I get started. It's the getting started part I dislike. Even though we get a refund every year, there is just something about doing the taxes that makes me balk. I have no idea why and stopped questioning it a long time ago. Now it's just a bad habit to wait this long.
Now, let's talk NASCAR. My favorite driver is Dale Earnhardt, Jr., son of the late great Dale Earnhardt, Sr., who detested being called Senior at any time. So for the most part he was just known as Dale Earnhardt.
Well, now there is a new sheriff in town and he has arrived with his guns ablazin' as they say. His name is Chase Elliott and he is the son of another great driver by the name of Bill Elliott aka Million Dollar Bill. Bill is called that because he won three of the five tagged races in one year to win a million dollars back in his day.
Before there was a Dale Earnhardt, Jr., my favorite driver was Bill Elliott. Bill is the one who got me interested in NASCAR. But he has retired and is now concentrating on his son's career.
Chase isn't his real name. It's William Clyde Elliott, the same as his father, and I don't know if they are tagged Senior and Junior as I have never read anything about that or seen it in any other print except one time when Chase was asked what is his real name. The story goes that Chase's godparents gave him that nickname shortly after he was born and it stuck. And what a great name for a race car driver. Especially one who is so talented...and his genes aren't too bad either.
Chase is only 18 years old and still in high school. He graduates this year. I have never come across a young person like him that has everything together in life. He is so savvy on the track it is scary. He sees slight openings to go through to advance positions like a hot knife through butter. His boss, Dale Earnhardt., Jr., says he is the new Elvis. I have yet to figure out what he means by that, since Dale Jr. is a huge Elvis fan. (As am I.)
Last week Chase won his first Nationwide Series race in Texas and just this past Friday he won again at Darlington, SC., which is known as The Track Too Tough To Tame. I see many more races being won by this talented driver. I remember when Chase was born and I couldn't wait to see him racing at the NASCAR tracks. Well, that day is finally here and I am quite sure he will make history just like his father did back in the 80's and 90's.
Hop in and pull those straps tight because we are in for one helluva ride with this kid.


2 comments:
Congratulations on getting your taxes done, AND on the approaching spring. We too will have temps in the low 30's on Monday/Tuesday.
We had 3 inches of snow here today--Tuesday. I haven't watched a race in awhile, but now I am interested in this kid! I'm ready for a new favorite driver.
Post a Comment