Monday, May 19, 2014

Our Trip North

We left the house around 10:30 on Sunday on the bike.  We stopped for gas and breakfast as well.  The skies didn't look too promising when we left. I had checked the weather for the area we were going to that morning and it looked like it would turn out OK.  Sunny, clear, and 60°.  By the time we were on the road for about half an hour, the gray clouds left and the puffy white ones took over and allowed the sun to shine.
The photo above is where we bought our Harley.
 
All of these photos were taken while in motion on the bike.  The sun was out so I couldn't see the viewfinder very well and for the most part all I did was aim, snap, and hope for the best.

This is coming down the mountainside into the little town of Jim Thorpe, named after the famous American Indian football player.  They were having a celebration of some kind but we didn't stop for that.  Jim Thorpe is nestled in a small valley where the mountains come together.  It has been called Little Switzerland in the past.  This photo does not do justice to how deeply it is nestled.  Yes, a river runs through it.  A lot of white water rafting can be done on that river for the brave ones.
When we reached the southern portion of Hickory Run State Park I noticed the foliage on the trees was very sparse.  I was disappointed because I thought there would be heavier foliage by now, but I guess the nasty winter we had postponed the growing season somewhat.
,

This is Boulder Lake.  Again, this photo like the others was taken while in motion after we left the parking area.  I had no idea whether I captured the lake until I went through all the photos.  We drove into the parking area but decided not to get off the bike like we did last Fall when we were here.  Nothing had changed and there was no activity on the lake.
We now focused on trying to find Boulder Field.  After stopping to get directions twice, and getting different answers both times, we flagged down a park worker.  He said, Follow me.  He got us to the turnoff and said it is about 3 miles in.  Three miles?  How about six plus?  These next two photos show the kind of road it was...we should never have taken the bike on this so-called road.  Three miles would have been OK maybe, but six miles in and six miles out was a bit much.

 And finally we arrived.  I read this first to acclimate myself with the history of the boulders.  There were other writings as well.  I finally was at one of the places on my Bucket List.  When I was small my parents brought my brother and me to see this place.  It made quite an impression on my young mind.  It was awesome then and it was just as awesome Sunday.
Of course, all these photos of the boulders were taken while on foot.  We parked the bike, walked to the edge, and just enjoyed the beauty of it all.  However, it seemed I was the only one enjoying it.  My husband was a little cross with me for having to take the bike that far on that dirt road.  Had we known it was that far in we may not have tried it.  When we got there he said,  All that for a pile of rocks?  Men.


 As you can see, there are people out there.  You are allowed to walk as far as you want and explore as much as you want.  All they ask is that no one disturbs any boulders, or takes any, or adds graffiti.  We did see three rocks where people painted on them. 




When we left Boulder Field it seemed as if the temperature had dropped somewhat.  The skies started darkening once again.  This photo is after we had driven through Jim Thorpe again on our way home.
We stopped at the same place we had breakfast to have our dinner.  We were on the road six hours.  Did I enjoy myself?  You bet I did.  Am I ready to go again?  You bet I am.

Earlier I said I was disappointed in the foliage.  I was expecting to see more leaves and a lot of blossoming trees like wild apple, wild cherry, anything that gets a blossom on it in the Spring.  All I saw were a few wild dogwood trees once in a while with a few flowers on them.

Our next trip will be when it is a lot warmer with the sun shining all day long and no threat of showers or rain.  We did feel a few sprinkles at one point but nothing to worry about.  When the temperature is around 60° and you are on a bike you have to factor in that it will be a helluva lot colder while riding~anywhere from 40-50 degrees instead of 60.  I was dressed for that so it didn't really bother me.  I'm far from a wimp.

4 comments:

Judy said...

That is simply an amazing place. Your camera must have a stabilizer on it because the photos look great, even though you were moving!

Peruby said...

That is awesome! I've never heard of that place before and of course I had to "wiki" it.

Thank you for sharing!

Grandma K said...

Love the pictures! Thank you!

MarkD60 said...

Boulder Field is really a field of boulders!

I noticed the lack of leaves too.