My absence from blogging is due to computer issues. I think it was around the beginning of this year when someone stole my email address and started sending hundreds of emails using it. That caught the eye of my Internet provider and they shut down my account.
Naturally that caused me to make a phone call to them to see what the reason was for shutting me down. They didn't cut off my Internet, just my email account. After they explained everything to me, I then had to go through the motions of getting me back in the fold by changing my password.
Within a few days after the password change, my router decided it didn't like the new password and cut me off from the Internet. I had to call my provider again to tell me how to circumvent the router and get me back in business. It has been that way ever since. That means I no longer had the use of my laptop because I had a wireless network between my PC and my laptop. My printer was not part of the wireless network.
Last week my printer decided to puke. I bought another one but I don't want to hook it up without using the wireless network (that no longer exists and I need to redo everything).
My router is a Cisco Valet Plus. How nice to find out they no longer manufacture them. I loved it. It was so easy to hook up and never gave me any problems. But that's another story and I am getting off track here. When I had the Cisco all hooked up back in 2010 I found out that since my PC is not wireless I had to buy a wireless adapter which I did. I purchased a Cisco Valet Connector. Do you think I can find that now? Nope. I tore just about everything apart in this room and still no adapter. Every day I look and every day I come up empty handed. I did, however, find the packing slip as well as the bill (in two separate places).
I am now waiting for a day that I can set aside to work on hooking up the Cisco Valet Plus to see if it works. If it does, I will probably buy a new adapter and go on my merry way. If it doesn't work, then I have to buy another router as well as an adapter.
With all this going on, it has kept me quite busy. And then there is the household I still have to run. It's not like I can just sit down and let everything else go just to get my computer's wireless network up and running. Plus the fact that since I am not tech savvy whatsoever, I keep dragging my feet because I always feel whatever I try to do will not work and then I will be frustrated and walk away letting a few more days slip by. For now I am happy that I have the Internet but I need to speed things up because working without a printer is the pits.
And now you know the rest of the story...
4 comments:
OMG. I am tech savvy and this sounds like a nightmare.
I rarely use my printer.
If it makes you feel any better I never can find anything. I, (like you) will find the receipt in one end of the house and the packing slip in another. I can relate to that very well.
Wireless/routers/Internet can be very hard for anybody. Good luck!
Peruby ~ I have since decided to just get a newer router and connector rather than mess around with something that is now obsolete and no longer supported by any company. Cisco got out of the router business early last year from what I read. Belkin is purchasing their Linksys portion.
I just hope setting up the new router will be as easy as the Valet Plus was. Fingers crossed.
You should be okay, setting up the new router. There might even be an owners manual with pictures. I have taken photos of the back of my computer, the router AND the modem so when something happens, at least I can look at the pix and see how to plug everything in again.
How's your tooth!
Judy ~ Wow, I never thought about taking pictures. That is an excellent idea and I will be doing that with before and after photos. I had been writing everything down as I went along.
My tooth is still hanging in there. It's not bothering me but I know it has to be pulled...I am trying to find a dentist that I will like and can trust.
Post a Comment