July is just flying by. This summer has been an odd one. We went through such a hellacious winter and then before we knew it summer came with a vengeance and slapped us in the face. And it's still slapping. I don't mind the heat though, not as much as I mind (hate) the cold of winter. Besides, winter costs a lot more than summer does.
A few weeks ago my husband complained of having what he called a gut ache. Actually, it was located in the lower left quadrant. More than two decades ago he developed diverticulitis and was worried it may have come back despite being so careful as to what he ate.
He called the doctor and got an appointment. An abdominal ultrasound was ordered as well as more blood drawn but for different reasons than usual. The ultrasound came back normal. At least we know his pancreas, liver, and kidneys are doing fine. Sometimes one of those organs can cause the pain he is having.
The next step was to call a gastroenterologist. Our family doctor gave us the phone number of the practice they use as a referral. My husband called them only to find out they are booked until early August. The 5th to be exact. He told the person there that he would check around to see if he could find something closer to now. After searching for gastroenterologists covered by our insurance, all we could come up with was one other practice. They, too, were booked till early August. The 7th to be exact.
So my husband called the first practice again but by that time the 5th was gone and all they had open was the 6th. He grabbed it. By then I was a tad weary just listening to him. Normally I do all the legwork but this time I made him do the calling. He did a very good job. I think I would have been swearing like a sailor after the first call.
So now we wait for him to see the gastro doctor. I should add here that when he saw the family doctor he was prescribed two different antibiotics. Neither of those worked for his pain so diverticulitis was ruled out since antibiotics take care of what causes that. I wish it were that easy those decades ago when he first had it...he was in the hospital over a week till they got him straightened out.
So far besides my tooth problem (I still have it), this pain my husband has is the most excitement we have going. I shouldn't say excitement because it really isn't exciting at all. Worriment would be a better choice of word.
So until something else rears its ugly head giving me something to write about, that is all I have for now.
2 comments:
My daughter is dealing with ear pain. I tell you - there are some things that no pain reliever helps.
Teeth, ears and gut problems are at the top of my list for this type of pain.
I hope you both find relief soon, as life is hard enough, let alone to have to go through it with pain.
I hate tooth pain because it throbs with every heart beat!!! Has your husband ever had a colonoscopy? He probably will, after the appointment in August. Gastro docs are all into that.
Post a Comment