Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Wacky Neighbors #3

Danger Zone ~ mix a little boy with a huge fire and it could spell disaster.  Fortunately on this day disaster was held at bay but I held my breath as I watched.  You never know when a small child is going to make a quick decision and do something rash.  Also, as you can see, this fire is giving off smoke.  What we were not aware of at that time is that smoke is a nuisance, something I was not aware of but am now.  

The neighbors have since received a letter from the township advising them about the do's and don'ts of having a residential or ceremonial fire pit.  I have also learned that when the burning ordinance was changed in 2008 the part of no burning between sunset and sunrise was not brought forth into the new ordinance.  So I was wrong on that count.  Apparently they were in the right to burn all night long while they slept in their tents.  However, a night fire must have someone tending it at all times and that didn't happen. 

Below is a photo of one side of the neighbor's driveway.  When the person who owned the property before them lived there everything was manicured and looked nice all the time.  He used to put fresh mulch in these areas (both sides) every Spring and saw that all weeds were pulled.  This below is nothing but a bed of weeds.  This couple is in their mid 30's.  You would think they cared about their property.  I watched him take care of weeds one day by using a weed-whacker.  Oh yeah, that's really going to get rid of them. 

3 comments:

MarkD60 said...

When I bought my house in the USA, I got the new lawnmower, the fertilizer and grass seed. After a couple of years, I just hoped that AUgust would bring a drought so that it would all die. I could spend 40 hours a week on my yard and it still would never be done.

In Cayman, I never planted grass, I cut the bush with a weed whacker, then I got all the big chunks out so that I could run a mower over it, and that's my yard today.
Not taking care of their property like you think they should doesn't mean they don't care about their property.
The pic of their yard doesn't look too bad to me.

Sorry.

Grandma K said...

Weed whacking IS a little better than just letting them go. I also believe at their age they could be doing better. I am really trying to get plants in the front flower beds that will grow thickly to choke out weeds. I no longer can get down to weed the beds. Darn our 200+ day growing season!

Sending good thoughts to you dealing with them.

Judy said...

I see your point!