One Friday morning a few weeks ago when I went out to feed the cats this is what I saw in the neighbor's yard. I thought they were either airing it out or they had just bought it and wanted to learn how to put it up before using it at a different location. The back of the tent is parallel to their fence. The door faced the fire pit which was not all that far away.
Friday night came and went and nobody used the tent. Company arrived Saturday. A fire was started in their round fire pit after the sun went down. I might interject here that we have an ordinance that states no fires after sunset or before sunrise. Did that stop them? Hell no.
The fire burned until a little after 4am. My husband was aware of the fire and was awake all night worrying about an ember being picked up by wind and possibly landing on our house, garage, or sheds. See that field on the other side of the tent? That is quite extensive and when the wind blows it sweeps down the field and across both our yards.
Hindsight is 20/20 and looking back I wish I had called one of the local fire departments to report a fire in the neighbor's back yard. Maybe that would have gotten through their thick skulls. As it was, my husband went to the township to report them to one of the supervisors. The one that had a hand in the writing of the latest fire ordinance. We asked that he speak to these neighbors and set them straight. Or at least send them a letter of warning. This was the third time we asked that the township step in for something stupid these people have done since moving here almost two years ago.
My husband asked to be mailed a copy of the letter. We are still waiting. He has since called the same supervisor and had to leave voice mail asking why no letter was sent out to them. Mr. Supervisor avoids us at all costs. And when we do catch him at the township building, he always has an excuse. My taxes help pay his salary as a supervisor. I wish he would remember that.
The sad thing about this whole incident is that people stayed in that tent overnight while that fire was burning all night long. Suppose the wind whipped an ember onto the tent while they were all asleep?
Crispy critters anyone?
5 comments:
What makes a fire more dangerous at night than in the day?
MarkD60 ~ any fire during the day must be attended at all times. And this township does not allow burning during the night. It's part of the ordinance. We no longer are able to burn anything outside. A fire during the night while people are sleeping a few feet away is unattended and anything could go wrong. Our burning ordinance is very strict. Our Honey Boo Boo neighbors do not understand what the restrictions are obviously.
I understand about the fire hazard. I also understand visitor's staying in the tent all night, no big deal to me. We used to have a tent set up on the back lawn most of the summer and the kids stayed out there on many night--and once in awhile, my hubs and I slept out there--it was actually quite romantic. :-) Now--if they leave it up all winter--THAT would tick me off.
Judy ~ The tent was taken down sometime Sunday morning. I loved sleeping in a tent in my younger days and did it many, many times. Nothing like sleeping in the outdoors on a warm summer night.
I think some people just need to have "stupid" written on their foreheads. Goodness gracious, I'd have been up all night too worrying about the wind. whew
Glad no one was hurt.
Post a Comment