Back in 2001 we had a manual awning installed on the rear extension of our house. Yes, back when we were younger and could handle the tedious job of extending it or bringing it back in. It was about six months ago when I finally decided, after debating a year or two before that, to look into installing a motorized awning. It would make things so much easier for us especially since I never once opened or closed the manual awning.
The old awning had to come down first and that didn't take long.
We received this awning a few weeks ago but we had to wait until our helpers, two relatives and a friend, could all be here. First, the preparation:
I took the pictures from inside because I wasn't dressed properly for outside, so pardon me for that please. This one is from the kitchen window. The awning installation took place to the left.
The non-related helper:
Yes, he did do a lot of work despite me catching him watching.
I took the photo above and below from the family room through the patio door window.
The finished product:
We added a wind sensor (not installed yet in this photo) because we tend to get very high winds in this area. These awnings have been tested to withstand winds up to 70 miles an hour. I have been caught in a 70-mile-an-hour wind storm and I doubt their tests. At any rate the wind sensor will alert the motor and the awning will automatically recede back to the house.
After one of the guys installed the sensor it had to be tested by jostling the awning frame up and down several times...he barely hit it with his elbow before trying the test and it receded on its own so I think the current setting will do just fine.
What I also like about the motorized awning is the fact that there aren't any bars dropping down to the deck at either end...it is nothing more than the awning itself with clearance all around and underneath it. That was another thing I hated about the manual awning: you had to walk straight out and go around those bars that came out at an angle. And you couldn't step over them at either side which is where our steps go down from the deck. So, yes, those bars were a nuisance.
The only drawback with this type awning is when it rains...water will pool in it if there is a heavy downpour. But we had the same problem with the manual awning so I can't really complain about that. The answer to that is to never leave the house with the awning fully extended. And that is why the remote is such a blessing to have...always trying to make life a little simpler for ourselves.
Our next step is to prepare the deck for re-coating. As you can see in the first photo, it is in sad shape. We applied one of the best coatings two year ago and it wasn't long before it was peeling and fading. We were refunded all the money we paid for the coating and now we have to look at something different once the deck is again prepped for that.
When you own a home there's always something that has to be done somewhere.
1 comment:
WOW--it goes back by itself when wind comes? How great is that!!When my deck was in bad shape, I got Olympic stain and did it and so far--two harsh summers and winters and it still is wearing pretty well. I don't know your non-related helper is, but he is pretty darn cute!!
Post a Comment