Saturday, May 23, 2015

And So It Begins

Memorial Day weekend kicks off the beginning of summer. And I say it every year repeating what my mother always said:  Memorial Day is the beginning, then 4th of July, and before you know it, Labor Day is here and gone. 

I have a dilemma facing me tomorrow.  The Indy 500 race is on early in the day and the coca Cola 600 is on with pre-race activities early in the afternoon leading up to a race under the lights.  So for the most part my day will be taken up with lots of racing activity.  That alone is enough to keep me occupied the entire day.  And inside the house.

However, my we-crawled-out-from-under-a-rock neighbors apparently are planning a big shindig at their place tomorrow.  This past Monday the Mr. and Mrs. worked on cleaning up areas of their yard until rain chased them inside.  The worst was around their fire pit and beyond.  All kinds of yard waste, wood stumps, branches, you name it, it was there.  And today it is all gone because he made several trips this week hauling it all away in his pickup.   I thought I would never see the day when all that garbage would be gone.  Of course, one of the township supervisors had to come and set them straight about a month ago.  They were told to clean up their yard and to stop burning yard waste in their fire pit.  No one else is allowed to do that, why would they be any different?  That's why we have ordinances.

So here is my dilemma:  I want to and will watch most of the racing.  I also wanted to roll out my new awning, sit in one of my new Adirondack chairs with its new all-in-one-piece cushion and do some neighbor-watching.  No, I am not a voyeur...I just want to try and make them feel uncomfortable after all the crap they have put us through since moving here in November of 2012.  It's my deck and I can sit out there if and when I choose. 

I guess I just have to wait for their toddler's birthday in about five weeks.

2 comments:

Judy said...

I think you should get some kind of portable TV and go out on your deck, watch the races, with the volume turned up really loud, so they could hear the racing car noises. :-)

Cheyenne said...

Judy ~ Actually the day wasn't all that bad. The neighbors spent most of the day in the pool which has a nice lounging deck (thanks to the previous owner). I can't see the pool thanks to all the stuff I planted years ago ~ a maple tree surrounded by forsythia bushes on both sides. My count of visitors was 10 adults, about 6 kids of various ages, and one Irish setter. It was a quiet day for me and there was no need to sit on the deck, so I enjoyed all my races and minded my own business.