Monday, June 29, 2015

Gun Control

"They" want to take our guns away.  I wonder how the people that live near the areas those two NY prison escapees were for over three weeks feel about that?

At one point those people were told to stay inside, lock their doors, and if they have a weapon they should sit with it on their lap.

My father was a hunter and he passed that activity on to his son who passed it on to his son etc.  I never liked guns and hated hunting animals more, but it kept food on the table.  My father hunted for food, not sport.  We never went near the gun cabinets where many rifles and handguns were kept.  Locked tight I might add.  Not that we tried to get into the cabinets, but when our father said something we listened.

This household has handguns and rifles.  One rifle is kept loaded by the bedside.  I have only ever shot my registered handgun once when we went target practicing.  It is a feeling of comfort knowing we have access to something that protects us in the face of imminent danger.  This is a rural area, after all.

I have no use for people who are against having guns for safety reasons.  I do, however, think people who keep loaded guns anywhere in their house when there are small children are crazy and should have their heads examined. One can never underestimate what a small child can and will do.  And the results can be deadly.

We will never be able to stop the illegal gun trade in this country.  Those will always be available to thieves, thugs, and murderers.  But why should the rest of us God-fearing law-abiding citizens be punished and left at risk because of them?


1 comment:

Judy said...

I agree! My Daddy was a hunter too--even taught gun safety to all the area kids. My son, also a hunter,, is the only one in our family who had guns--shotgun and rifle. My husband had a gun case with guns, hunting guns. My kids never, ever attempted to open it. It was no big deal, so they had no curiosity. BTW--I would feel much safer living back out in the rural farm area, where I grew up, then I would living near a city!!