Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Growing Up In New York

Oh how I miss my summers in New York! Entire summers. Every year.
My siblings and I stayed with our aunt and uncle. First it was on 80th Street in East Manhattan. Then they bought a home on Long Island. I remember Floral Park NY and Flushing NY in particular. But Manhattan was the best.

Opening fire hydrants and cooling off till the cops came. Pink rubber balls (we'd each get one every year). Sitting on the stoops at night (and everyone was friendly).
Playing on the roof of the highrise they lived in. Wonderful magical moments.

I miss Coney Island Amusement Park and those wonderful hot dogs--I believe they were Nathan's. My favorite ride was the ferris wheel when the car swung out over the ocean. When you're little it seems so much worse.

We went to Jones Beach alot. And Central Park. And the Bronx Zoo. Sweet memories. Except the time I got a "hole in my head" from a kid who was above me on the bars and put his foot on my head. He stepped down without looking. I remember that like it was just yesterday. The scar is still there.

When we were older we went to The Worlds Fair. At one time we also drove all the way out to Montauk Point just to see what it was like that far out.

Nothing today comes close to the magic of childhood so I will hold those memories very close to me.

Like my husband always says: "Your heart is in New York but your a** is in PA."

No comments: