Friday, March 03, 2006

Gettysburg National Military Park


I know this is old news as it happened over two weeks ago. I have been wanting to bitch about what happened ever since, but I kept putting it off. Well, now is a good time to do so.

First of all, when I read about this and saw the photos I cried, then I got angry and then I wanted to track down those dirty sonsabitches and shoot them dead. What the hell is wrong with people like that? Did they do it for kicks? Were they high on drugs, booze, what? Why?

I just don't get it. That land is sacred ~ a lot of blood was shed. So some snot-nosed kids (I presume) thought they'd get a few kicks. I'd love to land a few well aimed kicks of my own on their anatomy.

I also read that vandals have damaged the park three times within the last year and a half. Things have even been stolen off the monuments. Motorists have driven into monuments purposely to destroy them.

When I visited the park a few years ago (my second visit ~ the first time I was too young to understand), I was in total awe. To stand in places where so many lost their lives...I just can't explain how I felt.

What I'd really like to know is why things like that can't be stopped. Why isn't the park being patrolled, especially in the "off" hours. If they can put up a huge reward to find the vandals, why can't they come up with enough money to stop them in the first place?

7 comments:

Jim said...

That is sad. This is a federal park, right? Our federal budget is in a real crunch, so probably no money for guards. Private sources must be putting up the reward.
I don't want to get on this, but our Texas budget was in the black, then red. The fellow who did all that got a second chance, he went to Washington. Not much better there.
Mrs. Jim and I want to see Gettysburg. We did Appomattox and some others, but missed Gettysburg.
That could be this fall.
..

Cheyenne said...

Hope you get to see it. It is a "goose bumpy" place. I enjoyed every minute of it and then read everything I could get my hands on about it.

Clance' McClannahan said...

That is so sad. I am glad you posted it. I hadn't heard about it.
I hope someday on one of our trips we will get to visit the historical sites of the area.

Tiredawg said...

That is like Arlington Cemetary. Words cannot describe. Have a good week end.

Rachel said...

People have no respect. I never understand vandals. They only do it to be mean. They do need some swift kicks for sure. If they catch them I think they should let you deal with them! I'll bet they'd think before they did it again!

It's very sad when they do these things.

Cheyenne said...

Clance', Tiredawg, Rachel: Thank you for the kind words. I am still sad though.
Yes Rachel if I got my hands on them I would rip their lips off and then rip them a new hiney hole!

shadow said...

and the wife wonders why i want claymore anti-personnel mines in the front yard. hey punk come on up over the lawn ha ha ha ha.