Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Oh No ~ Not Already!


Yeah, I know, the majority of you have probably gotten your refunds and spent them by now...not us, we don't know what a refund is.

I am the worst procrastinator when it comes to filing our taxes. Be it federal, state or local. They all suck. I usually wait until the last week before I even make any attempt at them. Why, you ask? Oh, because every year we pay back more than the year before. Last year it was over five grand. Personally, tax filing time just makes me want to vomit.

This year will be no different than any other. For starters, my husband was off three months early last year for a total knee replacement. He "bought" short term disability insurance through his employer. But those checks he received on a weekly basis did not have any federal taxes taken out ~ just social security. And now it's time to pay the piper...and the piper's brother...and the piper's sister...I could go on and on.

Another problem we found out about is that for years we thought our weekly withholding for taxes was "Married with 0 Dependents." Not! Payroll never made the changes I sent to them and had been withholding as "Married With 1 Dependent." Luckily I found out just before I left and the change was made for my husband. I think. I hope. Knowing them and their track record...well, they just never get much right. They got rid of me for no reason didn't they? Well, there ya go.

So this year we are taking all of our tax info and letting someone else do them for us. I will probably try to muddle through the state and local taxes, but the federal tax filing is not going to be my headache. And I will take my checkbook along and pay like a big girl.

And it's not over yet. Next year might be worse. I will be receiving the proceeds from the sale of my parents' house (along with my two siblings). Maybe the lawyer will take the tax out for us before we get our check. Otherwise, we will be responsible when we file. Get the bucket and a mop...

5 comments:

Jim said...

If you have to sell your Mustang, I would like ...

Cheyenne said...

JIM: Were you finished, or were you going to add more. Anyway, I doubt I will ever sell it. I had it built to my specs and kept the build sheet.

Tiredawg said...

Don't forget the tissue!

Tiredawg said...

Don't forget the tissue!

Rachel said...

Tax time, what a pain. I must get ours done sometime in the near future. We usually get a small amount back from state, and maybe a few dollars from federal. If we had to pay 5 grand I'm sure my husband would have another stroke and probably I would too. Major ouchy!!