
This photo shows a very tiny portion. These are all bears as is the majority of my collection.
I can't tell you when or why I started collecting them, but I can tell you when I stopped: June 1st a year ago. The day I lost my job. I was looking for an excuse to stop buying them but I was so addicted that no excuse was strong enough. So when that happened my mind was made up for me. Beanie Babies are not expensive. However, every month a new batch comes out. I was signed up at a local pharmacy gift center and whenever the new ones came in they would give me a call. Sometimes there would only be one bear, other times as many as five or more bears, and I always bought every different bear they had.
And when I discovered the international bears on eBay (they were only available through a second market), that's when the costs really went up. And then there was the TY Store where that was the only place you could buy certain Beanies. And I did. Every time there was a bear introduced I would order it. There were other non-bear Beanies that I bought too. Oh, and I also subscribed to Beanie Of The Month, where they would send a different special Beanie every month. So you can see I was way out of hand. Not to mention that I stopped putting them in those plastic cases not only because they also cost money, but because I was running out of room. So I put them in their own little plastic bag and then into a larger tote. Not just one tote mind you. Many totes.
Since I stopped collecting, my interest in them has fallen way off. And now I just don't know what to do with them. Not only are they taking up room they are also just sitting here doing nothing. Maybe one day I'll think of something. Hopefully before I get too old to care.
9 comments:
Maybe you could be the 'bear lady' in town. Then when you expire (sigh) they could put them all in the local museum for your honor.
I need Jake. If I'm correct, his birthday is October 30.
I had a white mouse that stayed with my computer mouse when I was working. He is in a box someplace now, just waiting to be rediscovered.
..
I know the feeling. I have over 325 1/245 scale NASCAR cars all in the same mirroeds and plexiglass cases. Hey I don't drink, i gotta have one vice.
Wow! That is a lot of bears! I guess it is an addiction of sorts? Maybe?
Jim, this village ain't big enuf to have a museum. We are but a few houses surrounded by corn fields. My husband is the self-apppointed mayor and once in awhile I sit on the roof. Hey, I could toss the bears at cars from that perch!
Tiredawg, 325 is a bit much. I have way over 100 so I shouldn't talk. All in their original boxes piled on the floor. BUT, they are segregated by driver. Big E, Little E, Harvick, and Bill Elliott.
Peruby, oh yes...it is beyond addiction. Had I not been out of a job I would still be collecting them, probably. So some things do have a silver lining.
That is a lot of bears. My wife collects stuffed bears (not beanie bears) but nothing like you did. At times like this it is good to remember - ebay is your friend. Or, donate them to a childrens hospital or someone at the hospital.
Ralph
You sound like my sister in law, Motherkitty. She probably has the worlds biggest collection and doesn't know what she is going to do with them.
Thanks for stopping in hoping to find a story about my visit with Rachel. I had blogger problems earlier today so I have just now posted the story with pictures and you are welcomed to come back & read it. Sorry for the delay.
Ralph, I thought about eBay but it's just too much to have to go through for every single bear. And donating is simply out of the question. One hard-to-find bear is at least worth $400 or more by now and I have several other hard-to-find bears.
Post a Comment