The answer is a simple no.
Yes, I have the gifts but they are not wrapped.
Yes, I have everything needed for the meal.
And that is all I can answer yes to. There will be no crazed woman baking cookies this year like she has for the past few years. Why, you ask? Because that same woman ended up eating most of those cookies.
There will be little decorating going on in this house. Why, you ask? Because this woman is tired of traipsing up and down the basement steps to decorate and then having to do the same thing when the holidays are over by taking them back downstairs.
There will be a tree, but only what I call my wall tree. It looks like a real tree but it is flat against the wall and high enough that the cats can't get at it. There are lights and balls and decorations on it, too.
If I get really jazzed about this holiday, I might even bring my poinsettias up and set some around the house.
Now, I 'll bet you are asking yourself, what is wrong with this woman? Well, I will tell you what is wrong with me. I have been doing this decorating thing for so long that I am just tired of it. I don't have any grandchildren and I don't have to entertain anyone, so I just feel it is a waste of my time to go through all that for nothing.
I used to wonder why people stopped decorating or having a tree, especially when my parents stopped. I never understood it. I thought they lost their minds. Well, let me tell you that I truly believe just about everyone will hit this same wall sooner or later.
I have not lost the Christmas spirit or my religion or anything like that. I hate the commercialism that has been brought to this most sacred of holidays and I prefer to celebrate it in my own way with my husband and my four fur-babies. And I can't forget my daughter and her boyfriend.

9 comments:
Amen!
Yes, all I can add is "amen."
I have read so many blogs where no one is putting up a tree this year, nor decorating very much. Is it because the world we live in is so sad or because we are all growing older and it is just too much work. I used the excuse of two new kitties that would tear my tree apart, but in reality--I just don't have the feeling for it this year.
Peruby & Grandma K ~ Love those amens!
Judemiller1 ~ I think it is a combination of all those things you mentioned. They always say that Christmas is for the children.
I lost interest when my parents left this world.
I didn't put up a tree either. It has always fallen to me to put up the tree and decorate it. Even when the kids were little, they didn't want to help, and I always found it a huge hassle, especially putting on the lights. I still decorated, but in a different way.
It probably doesn't help much that my house is a mess and the kitchen counter has been ripped off. It is not a Norman Rockwell Christmas here.
I am so with you although we have Ashlynn here and that is all fun but I could really care less. I miss CARING and I miss being able to be home and do all that too... but no time now the new kitty is cute.. Sorry I stink at stopping by and leaving comments.
Marti ~ Oh geez, I've never had a Norman Rockwell Christmas. I wouldn't know what to do with one of those. But my Mom came pretty dang close to that.
JUST A MOM ~ Some day that will all come back to you and you will have forgotten these days that put you in a funk.
I always say...better days are coming, and they usually do. Chin up!
Post a Comment