Friday, December 16, 2011

Just A Little Note

This little fella, aka Eli, has been given a clean bill of health from his vet.
What a great Christmas gift to me!


When he was first tested for FIV (feline AIDS) he tested positive. I was told that happens with a lot of kittens as their mothers pass the antibodies on to their young. That is what happened in Eli's case. Most kittens then do not test negative until they are around 6 months old. I am very thankful that at the age of 3 months Eli tested negative, so I didn't have to wait another three months to get good results.

In the beginning of January Eli will get his final distemper shot (there are three in the series), and then sometime in early March he will be neutered at the age of 6 months old. Our vet won't do it any earlier than that.

Raising any kitten that is a product of a feral colony can be hit or miss as to whether it is healthy or not. Most of them have worms, fleas, ear mites, parasites etc. With Eli we really lucked out...he had none of those. But he sure did give us a few scares along the way.

When we brought him inside that first day and then took him to the vet a few days later, he only weighed 9.5 oz. He was 5 weeks old. He is now almost 15 weeks old and weighs 3 lbs. 14 oz. I don't think Eli will be small like Punkin' is. Eli is quite a handful now already, especially when he is overtired, which happens a lot in the evenings when I have him out to run and play.  His morning sessions go a little better.

Summing this up...I couldn't ask for a better Christmas gift than Eli being negative in all his tests. 


1 comment:

Peruby said...

Very sweet. I have a female that looks very similar. She is quite a character but also sweet.