Our first visit was to a fruit and vegetable stand right up the street from our house, and yet we have never stopped off when we have so often passed by. They have a few animals behind the stand like this little fellow. His mommy was nearby.
They also have a few Texas longhorns and here are two of them:
Next was Gress Mountain Ranch where they use tame rescued animals to use as counseling and therapy for children, teens, and adults. I never knew it existed and they, too, are in our backyard.
From there we went to Heidel Hollow Farm where we got the free eggs. This is a place my husband was familiar with as he used to deliver fertilizer to them years ago.
My favorite place was Holben Valley Farm. They have around 50 head of Black Angus and a few Limousine cattle. The animals are pasture-raised with no antibiotics or growth hormones added to their feed. They sell their beef to the public so I think we will be going back for some. It is so much better than that stuff they call meat in the supermarkets. Here is a picture of the young ones hamming it up. They are kept separate from the adults to insure that they get fed well.
Our last stop was Skyview Acres which absolutely blew me away. We went up a long dirt road and at the end of the road was a huge stone home. It was just gorgeous. I don't know why I didn't take a picture of it, and you can't see it from the road. ( Blogger only allows me to post five pictures at a time so it wouldn't matter.)
The pastures are surrounded by vinyl fencing (nothing shabby there). There is an on-site museum that houses antique carriages, coaches and hearses, all horse-drawn. Six Friesian horses are housed alongside the museum. Up until then, I had never heard of Friesian horses, and I thought I knew everything there was to know about horses. They originated in Holland. The tails and manes of the older ones reach the ground and they are never cut. This picture does not do them justice. They are black (no other color is acceptable, not even a bit of white) and are absolutely gorgeous.
This farm is in the business of renting out the horses along with whatever it is you want pulled by them. (There are two horses in this picture)
This is a view of the countryside from the pasture. The house and the museum were to the left. To the right just beyond that portion of the pasture was a wooded area. Skyview is certainly the best name they could have come up with, as it was breathtaking.
We had a good time and the best part was getting to see our neighboring farms and their contribution to society. I am looking forward to next year!
13 comments:
Damn that countryside is bEautEfull. Can we go with you the next time???
Now that sounds like my kind of day!! That little donkey is so cute!! I love horses in any shape form or fashion and the Friesian ones are gorgeous!!
Beautiful countryside!!
Tiredawg ~ Yes, PA can boast of beautiful countryside but the taxes suck. That farm (Skyview) is not too far from where I live. You will have to wait until next year to go on the tour. OK?
RACHEL ~ I wanted to take one of those horses and run, but then I remembered I would need a permit. Drat.
Friesans are my daughter's favorite horse. They are on almost every horse calendar because they are so beautiful.
PERUBY ~ And I cannot understand how I didn't know about them. I usually buy one horse calendar every year.
Sorry bout the Mets. Lets go huntin some Cardinal ares!!!
that sounds like so much fun. glad you enjoyed yourself. i wish we had somthing like that around here!
Looks and sounds like you had a great time. What a neighborhood to live in! You are indeed fortunate.
Ralph
TIREDAWG ~ Yeah, I be huntin' only 2: Belliard and Molina (those 2 creepy looking ones)
One Plus ~ Well, you can always come east and see what it's all about. I just wish it lasted longer than 4 hours. Not enough time to see everything.
RALPH ~ Yes, I guess I am fortunate. But PA is also known as the State of High Taxes and I don't like the winters. Oh well, can't have everything I suppose.
OMG that little burrow/donkey is adorable! And I love horses (used to have a few myself).
We have farms here in NJ so it's not unusual to see what you saw (except for the longhorns). However, it's not full of rolling hills like the farm you went to. That is a gorgeous farm. PA is known for that. Absolutely stunning countryside. It looks like a postcard.
Post a Comment