
Many months ago I received in the mail a CD to download software for filing federal and state taxes. I put it aside. And then one day it crossed my path, so I opened it and read the small booklet that was inside. Also included was a coupon for $25 to use if I chose to have H&R do our taxes in person.
I won't lie to you...I am one of the greatest procrastinators around~especially when it comes to having to do things I don't particularly care doing. Like federal tax filing. There are a lot of other things, but filing taxes make me want to run and hide. As far away from them as I can get.
A few weeks ago I once again reviewed all the material looking for the fine print. I couldn't find any. I never sent for the software and I have no idea where it came from; therefore, it was free. I am taking the liberty here and guessing that H&R sent their previous customers this new software hoping we use it and return to them next year.
And so, one day when I had time on my hands, I put the CD in and downloaded it. It didn't take long and soon there was a new icon on my desktop. And that's as far as I got. I didn't open the program. I dragged my feet, because I really dreaded having to do our taxes. Why? I guess I was afraid of the unknown. Like how much money we owed this year. Like not knowing what was in that program. Because once I clicked on that little icon, there was no turning back. The first thing I was greeted with was an update notice telling me some things changed since the software left them and arrived on my doorstep.
So far so good. That was fairly easy. But then I sat there and stared at the screen a few moments before clicking on START A RETURN. And then I was off and running. I wrote down the time I started. As I went through the forms answering questions and filling things out, I thought, this is pretty easy; I think I like this.
(A few weeks ago, I decided that yesterday would be a good day to work on the taxes because there was no NASCAR race. I forewarned my husband that I was going to be in my little corner of the world, with the door shut, and absolutely no one was allowed to bother me until I decided to come out or I was finished.)
It only took me an hour and not once did I have to throw anything, or cuss like a banshee, or even scratch my head. And even though we owe a few hundred dollars, I still had a smile on my face because it was a really nice experience.
Whew! I'm glad that's over for another year.
8 comments:
Wow! You're ahead of me [in doing taxes, and posting too--I just finished posting right after you].
I have a CD this year too, maybe I'll try it.
..
I have to find that hiding spot this week...no help tho..just a good old fashion calculator
You have more balls than I do. I have an accountant take care of that. Knowing me like I do, I would be doing time with Rick Hendrick. LOL LOL LOL
Jim ~ If you have a CD to do your taxes use it...it doesn't get any simpler. Mine even determined what form to use (1040EZ, 1040 etc.)
racefan57 ~ I don't envy you at all.
Tredawg ~ I don't have an accountant. I wear that hat, too, in this household.
I like your comment about Hendrick. How true.
I'm glad you got that over with too and that it was less painful than you had thought!!
That year will roll around before you know it though.
I am the accountant and I hate doing my own taxes. Hate it. Must have been tax weekend though. I did my Mom's, and mine and DH. He has to pay I get a refund. Have to love that. Glad it was a great experience for you.
Post a Comment