Thursday, April 10, 2008

I Survived...Barely


So I went to get blood drawn yesterday for my doctor who has been pestering me to do so for way over a year now. As you recall, it is not something I enjoy doing. But I did it and it's over with and now I can go on about my business without that hacking away at my brain all the time.

The nurse seemed like a friendly sort as she invited me into her lair. I sat down on what looked like a torture chair and waited till she came back. They always seem to have some place they have to go once they acknowledge you.

She did come back and set about her job. The rubber tourniquet was put on my left arm and the needle was inserted. And then she tells me it's a small vein. That should have been my first clue to run out of there. But I had my big girl pants on so I stayed. She told me it was a very slow drip because the vein was so tiny and she also had to use the pediatric vials ~ the ones the lab people don't like. Meanwhile that damn needle is still stuck in my arm and I am still looking to my right. It took like forever.

Finally she ripped the tourniquet off, with the needle still in, and I feel this P.I.N.C.H.I.N.G. sensation like no other. Holy hell! That mother hurt. I asked her what happened (since I have never had that sensation before from a needle) and she said it was a collapsed vein. All I could do was ask her why, since I have never experienced a collapsed vein in my entire lifetime. She told me it could be due to a high stress level. Me, stressed? Well, let's think about that a bit...

I had to get up at the crack of dawn, I was not allowed to eat or drink anything (other than water, which is not even on my diet), the traffic was heavy and we were running late for my husband's appointment, his therapy session went way over the usual time while I am starving, SO WHY SHOULD MY STRESS LEVEL BE HIGH?

I didn't believe that for one minute. No, I blamed it on her ineptitude. And after all that she then had the nerve to ask me for a urine sample. Like I can pee on demand. Oh yeah, that went over big. She's just lucky I was able to perform that little deed. I set it on the counter and got the hell out of there before she wanted something else from me.

And as far as my doctor is concerned? He won't be getting any blood samples from me for a long time. I am very good at running away from those. He's just lucky I was in a good mood when I decided to get it done this time. There might not even be a next time if I have anything to do with it. Maybe.

6 comments:

RevJim said...

Well, you got it done. And it looks like you did it with good humor. Now you can get on with things.
Perhaps even Celebrate, Dale Jr's victory Saturday night?

Tiredawg said...

Now that you have done this, are you ready to get tattooed with the Dawg???

Chastity said...

I'm sorry you had such a bad time of it. I've got easy veins, or so they tell me, so I've never experienced anything like that.

Cheyenne said...

Revjim ~ It wasn't so funy while it was all happening. But I guess like everything else, I will get over it.
And Junior didn't win. Almost though. Good race, for a change.

Cheyenne said...

Tiredawg ~ Any tattoos on me and I will get thrown out of the house. That is one thing my husband wouldn't allow, and probably the only thing I would listen to him about. lol

Cheyenne said...

Chas ~ Normally I don't have a problem either, but I guess there's always a first time. And I hope it's the last time, too.