Thursday, April 03, 2008

Mystery Building

For over a year as we drove around our community, we could see a building far off in the distance from where we were anytime we headed north of our house. Our normal routes of travel don't usually go north, but every time we did we would see that building. And one of us would always bring up the subject of wondering what it is. It always stood out, high upon the hill, among the houses scattered all around it.

We kept saying one day. This past Saturday that one day finally arrived. We kept driving around all the back roads that we thought were near the structure. From the distance we could see it, the only thing we could make out was that it was tan in color. We could not ascertain the type of building it was.

As my husband drove around, I as usual had my nose stuck in a book. I heard him say excitedly there it is! I thought he said there he is and my first thought was that someone was playing cat and mouse with us and was now behind us. I came back to reality when I was told to look behind me in the distance, and indeed there it was. I used the telephoto lens for this:

Now the trick was to get there from where we were, which was a different hill. The area is nothing but hills and valleys and nothing is level. Before we knew it, we were looking right at it and by choosing the right road we finally came right up to its driveway. We had noticed flags flying from each of its three spires/towers. At first we thought it was a private home, as our area is known to have celebrities sprinkled among us and most of those homes/estates/manors/mansions are well hidden for the most part. This one stuck out like a sore thumb sitting high on top of the hill.

This is what we saw at the driveway at the front of the property, and on the huge sign nestled in very neat landscaping was its name and what it was used for. At the very bottom it read Hindu Temple. (It was at the right of this photo)

As we continued on our way, circling it almost entirely, I snapped two more photos:


And before we knew it, we were at our house. We had made a complete circle and had found that the Temple is closer to us than we originally thought. Almost in our back yard you might say. Had we gone backward we'd have found it much quicker. As far as I know, this is the only Hindu Temple in our Valley. There may be others; I just don't know about them. And if this one wasn't on a hill, I might not have known about it either.

5 comments:

Tiredawg said...

That was a neat looking building. I thought at first picture that it was an observatory. Guess thats what I get for thinkin, lol.

Chastity said...

That looks like a very large place. You must have a big Hindu population in your community.

Cheyenne said...

It is a very impressive building.

Cheyenne said...

Chas ~ Well, they do own a lot of the convenience stores (7-11's) and most of the Dunkin' Donut shops. I don't see too many when I am shopping either, so I don't know where they are hiding. lol

Jim said...

I think it will help drive up your property values. Field of dreams(~~), "build it and they will come."

There was a long paragraph about daydreaming. I put most of that paragraph in a comment.
Thanks for asking, it was interesting to know what we already knew in the first place.
..