I received this in an e-mail so I a guessing there are some of you who have already seen or read this. It really hits home. How many people who voted for Obama still feel strong enough about that vote?
*****************************************************
Letter From Grandpa
John is 63 years old and owns his own business. He is a life-long
Republican and sees his dream of retiring next year is now all but
gone. With the stock market crashing and all the new taxes coming his
way, John knows he will be working for a good number more years.
John has a granddaughter. Ashley is a recent college grad. She drives
a late model car, wears all the latest fashions, and also likes going
out and eating out a lot. Ashley campaigned hard for Obama, and after
he won the election she made sure her grandfather (and all other
Republican family members) received more than an earful on how the
world is doing to be a much better place now that Obama won the
election.
Ashley recently found herself short of cash and cannot pay her bills,
again. As she has done many other times in the past, she e-mailed her
grandfather asking for some financial help. Here is his reply:
"Sweetheart,
I am replying to your request for more money. Ashley, you know I love
you dearly and am sympathetic to your financial plight.
Unfortunately, times have changed. With the election of President
Obama, your grandmother and I have had to set forth a bold new
economic plan of our own....the 'Ashley Economic Plan'. Let me
explain. Your grandmother and I are highly productive, wage-earning
taxpayers. As you know, we have lived a comfortable
life and in return have forgone many things like fancy vacations,
luxury cars, etc. We have worked hard and were looking forward to
retiring soon. But this plan has changed. Your president is significantly raising
our personal and business taxes. He says it is so he can give our
hard earned money to other people.
Do you know what this means, Ashley? It means less income for us.
Less income means we must cut back on many business and personal
expenditures.
One example is, we were forced to let go of our receptionist today.
You know her. She always gave you candy when you visited my office.
Did you know she worked for us for the past 18 years? I can't afford
her anymore.
That is a taste of the business side. Some personal economic effects
of Obama's new taxation policies include none other than you. You
know very well that over the years your grandmother and I have given
you thousands of dollars in cash, tuition assistance, food, housing, clothing, gifts, etc., etc. By your vote, you have chosen another family over ours for help. Judging from your Email requesting more money, I recommend you call 202-456-1111. That is the direct telephone number for the White House.
You yourself repeatedly told me I was foolish to vote Republican. You said Mr. Obama is going to be the people's president and is going to help every American live a better life. Based upon everything you have told me and things we
heard from him as he campaigned, I am sure Mr. Obama will be happy to
send a check or transfer money into your checking account. Have him
call me for the transaction and account numbers, which by now I know
by heart.
Perhaps you now can understand what I have been saying for all my
life: those who vote for the president should consider what the impact
of an election will be on the nation as a whole, and not just be
concerned with what they can get for themselves (welfare, etc.). What
Obama voters don't seem to realize is all of the "government's" money
he is 'redistributing' to illegal aliens and non-taxpaying Americans
(deemed "less fortunate") comes from tax money collected from income
tax-paying families. Remember how you told me, "Only the richest of
the rich will be affected"? Guess what, honey? Because of our
business, your grandmother and I are now considered to be the richest
of the rich. On paper, it might look that way. But in the real
world, we are far from it.
But, as you said while campaigning for Obama, some people will have to
carry more of the burden so all of America can prosper. You
understand what that means, right? It means that raising taxes on
productive people results in them having less money. Less money for
everything, including granddaughters.
Congratulations on your choice for "change". For future reference, I
encourage you to attempt to add up the total value of the gifts and
money you've received from us over the years, and compare it to what
you expect to get over the next four years from Mr. Obama.
Remember, we love you dearly... but from now on you'll need to call
the number referenced above when you need help.
Good luck, sweetheart.
Love, Grandpa
2 comments:
These policies hurt the working poor as well. Because I am physically and mentally unable to work full time, I depend on temporary and part time jobs to pay my expenses. Those jobs have been taken away from us, because the stimulus initiatives require contractors to jobs that receive stimulus funding have to pay union scale, which means they have to cut their workforce by 1/3. That means the temporary jobs are the first to go.
I know smoking is bad for me, but I roll my own cigarettes, which usually keeps me down to less than ten cigarettes a day. I have always had a chronically low blood pressure--around 98/50, and the nicotine seems to help keep me from getting lightheaded from my BP going too low. Anyway, it should be my choice as to whether to quit or not.
What I'm getting at is that on March 30, I could get an 8oz bag of tobacco for around $9 on March 30. When the Federal excise tax went into effect on April 1, that same bag of tobacco cost $27. I can no longer afford to buy bulk tobacco. I never asked the government to be my mommy and daddy, and the choice to quit should have been my own.
It isn't as though I never worked for a living. I was in the Air Force for six years, and worked as an electronic technician, at a very good salary for 11 years. It was supposed to be a career job, but government policy forced that company to go bankrupt. Now, I'm obsolete, and can't get a job in my chosen profession. The government wants to make me dependent on the government, something my Spirit won't allow me to do.
Soon, I won't be able to afford gas or electricity, because the government wants to raise the tax on that. I do get food stamps, but what I can buy is limited to what I can cook. The government continues to conspire to take away anything that may give comfort to the working poor.
A long life provided by the government is nothing without liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I don't think the government really knows what can make me happy. This is not just a backlash against the wealthy, it is a war on the poor. Back in February, Nancy Pelosi said "The poor are a luxury we can't afford."
She said that to justify government funding of birth control, as if poverty is a genetic trait. As if she expects the poor to stay poor, and not work their way up to success. Seig Heil, Nancy.
I feel like I'm wearing an orange jumpsuit, yet I have committed no crime. The government is deciding what is good for me, and taking away anything it considers bad for me. That is not change, it is oppression. And that is a plain fact.
The next time an Obama supporter tells me that the government wants to help the poor, I think I'll puke right on his or her elitist shoes.
I hate to tell you guys but G.W.Bush led us all down the primrose path. Just like he did Texas, he sent out state to poverty with the cutting of taxes and consequently benefits and state jobs. Then he went to Washington and did a repeat show there. I told people he would do that. Obamah inherited the mess but I don't think he or anyone else can fix it.
..
Post a Comment