Monday, February 22, 2010

Bode Miller ~ Gotta Love This Guy


There was no one more disappointed than me four years ago at the Olympics in Italy when Bode Miller left empty handed. I had great hopes for him back then and I was both stunned and devastated by his actions.

When he won two silver medals at the Salt Lake City Olympics in 2002, he was happy and I was happy for him. But that elusive gold just wasn't meant to be. And then came the 2006 debacle where no medal was meant to be. I can't even put in words how I felt when his last event was over; I thought his career was over, too.

Since then he's become a father to Neesyn Dacey who turned two years old this month. She has become part of his resurgence, as children can do that to a person. He has mentioned her numerous times at these Olympic games (he calls her Dacey). That makes me all the more proud of him not only as an athlete, but as a father too.

Bode started the games slowly in Vancouver and built to a crescendo. He placed third in the Downhill earning a bronze medal. Next, he placed second in the Super G earning a silver medal. And then he won the Super Combined and earned his first gold medal.

No other American Alpine skier has earned more medals in the same Olympics. Bode stands alone. Just like I had hoped he would when I first started following his career, long before most people had ever heard of him. And he's not done yet.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I'm glad he has had great success this year! Sounds like he deserves every bit of it!

I was reading your story of Punkin, your naughty one!! Haha!! Amazing the difference in what they find to get into. I now have 6cats! Heaven help me!!!