Yes, I once made that remark about our house. Especially with the three cats we have inside. My older two (they are 3-1/2 years old) never got into much trouble. They kept each other entertained. But Punkin' is a whole 'nother animal.
Two days ago I found him on top of my radio console with one of the two live plants I have left and it was laying over on its side, dirt and pebbles spilling out. Months ago he had the entire plant upside down on my beige rug in the family room. I wasn't all that happy then and I sure enough wasn't happy two days ago. I did the only thing I could think of which was quite spontaneous. I yelled at him. He didn't see me coming and I guess I scared him. He jumped down and it was higher than he is used to. And then he cowered and froze. I felt terrible at that moment and consoled him soothingly so he wouldn't be afraid.
Around noon my husband noticed he was limping. His right front foreleg seemed to be the culprit because when he walked he didn't put his full weight on it. I monitored him all day and it wasn't getting better.
Wednesday morning my first order of business was to call the vet. I was lucky enough to get an appointment later in the day. I was worried he had a fracture, although I was fairly sure it wasn't broken. The vet said it is a common thing for cats. She said he had a sprained elbow. She gave him a shot (painkiller) and said that will last three to four days so he doesn't feel the pain of the sprain while he mends. She also said it may take three to four weeks for it to fully mend.
Even though he had that sprain, he was still running around like nothing happened. He favored his leg when he walked or ran but he still played ninja cat with the other two cats. He still jumped up onto things and jumped down. He was doing everything that he normally did before the sprain.
And once the painkiller kicked in he was back to normal. But he's in for a surprise when it wears off. I need some of those shots for my pain but the vet wouldn't hear of it. Foiled again.
3 comments:
Wow, pain free for three or four days!?
Heck I yell at my critters every hour almost. They run and scatter but two minutes later they are back under my feet.
I am convinced that people should have only one animal at a time, just like spouses.
Since Katrin came to live with us I have to fight for Jim's attention. He still can play bear with me if I get him started. Katrin just watches us do that, I think she is scared.
..
I also have 3 cats in the house and our youngest Petey is into EVERYTHING not at all like the other's were as kittens and young cats. But Petey is a tomcat and I think that's the difference. He has also shredded our new recliner and I don't keep house plants because I know he'd have them turned upside down anyway.
My cats will go outside to live once it's warm out. They go in and out now, so our house is like they're big cat house.
I love watching the cats play and chase each other. They keep us entertained and then they snuggle with us when they rest. They're such a comfort.
Post a Comment