Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Dang, It Happened Again


I've been on a thousand-calories-a-day diet for some weeks, so when we go out to eat breakfast I usually order eggs. This morning I opted to go with an onion omelet made with egg whites. I don't eat fried potatoes unless they look like they were in a fire, so because potatoes came with what I ordered I asked that they be cremated. If they weren't made to my liking I simply wouldn't eat them. I hate mushy potatoes unless they're mashed and I don't eat them that way too often either.

When my plate was placed in front of me, one look at the potatoes and a complaint came out of my mouth. I had asked that they be done the color of my coffee (which I take black) and so I said they certainly don't look like my coffee. As a matter of fact my husband's potatoes were darker than mine were. But it wasn't the potatoes that upset me.

My first bite of the omelet told me something wasn't right. It had the taste of regular eggs rather than egg whites and the consistency was much too thick for egg whites. I have eaten enough egg whites to know the difference. But I was hungry and I kept eating because I felt they had done the right thing by me. Oh dear sweet naive me...

By the time I finished that omelet I felt so guilty because I knew it wasn't egg whites. I mentioned it to the waitress and she said she would ask the cook. The cook, we were told, was from south of the border. And the waitress never came back with an answer.

When we paid our bill my husband asked her again about my egg order and she then told us the cook said he added one regular egg to the egg whites. Now why in God's name would any decent cook do something like that? I wondered if he did that to every egg white order, and if he was aware that there are a lot of people who are allergic to eggs. I prefer egg whites because they are fat free and very low in calories, and my cholesterol is something I really have to work at to keep the numbers low.

There's a reason people order egg whites and it's not the cook's decision to add regular eggs. To say I was really pissed off when we left is an understatement. I felt betrayed. Just like the deal with that chicken sandwich a few weeks ago.

The good thing is that the waitress deducted the difference for the egg whites (they cost more than regular eggs; why, I don't know, since you're not getting the yolks.)The bad thing is, the next time we decide to go there the owner will definitely get an earful about his cook that thinks he is a sous chef and screws with peoples' orders.

2 comments:

Judy said...

You did mention the cook was from "south of the border"--perhaps he didn't understand--did he even speak English?

Cheyenne said...

We visited today, filed our complaint, and found that the cook had been fired as he was messing with other stuff.