Friday, July 30, 2010

Same Old, Same Old

Here it is, another weekend of racing and I'm not looking forward to it. It's been that way all year. Plus this weekend they are racing at boring Pocono, which just happens to be a bit north of me.

I never thought the day would come when my interest in racing would be slipping month after month as it has this season.

I think often about the 80's and 90's when racing was magical. The drivers were very colorful and when they had something to say, they said it with no repercussions. I read that NASCAR recently fined two of its star drivers for speaking out about the hand that feeds them. Isn't this a free country with freedom of speech? I guess someone forgot to tell NASCAR that.

The powers that be that run NASCAR seem to think the drivers should shut up and just race their little cars. Yeah, and that's another thing...those cars. Those damn so-called CoT cars, aka Car of Tomorrow. Well, tomorrow has long come and gone and we are still dealing with them. I just wish they would bring back the car they replaced with the CoT.

And I am so sick and tired of all this politically correct crap taking place in this country today. Not only in NASCAR but everywhere you look. It seems no one can say much about anything or anyone without getting in trouble. Why have so many people gotten so thin-skinned? Gee, you can't even think a bad thought anymore without someone getting pissed off. Even those two words, politically correct, drive me insane. I cringe when I hear them, so it took a lot for me to even write about them.

Sorry, I got off track there for a moment. Getting back to NASCAR: I suppose my biggest problem is the way Dale Jr. has been running this season. I truly thought that once he signed on with Hendrick that he would be just as good as his teammates, Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson. Boy, was I ever misled. Don't get me wrong...I will never turn my back on Dale Jr. He will always be my driver until he retires. But with each passing race I always feel maybe the next race he'll do better that he'll finish in the top five, or with a bit of luck and good driving that he'll win. It's not asking for much. Just one lousy little win.


Junior Nation is getting mighty impatient, so I know I'm not alone.

3 comments:

Jim said...

I like his Go Daddy shirt. I had that figured for a girls shirt (Dana).

Our lives ran similar tracks, event-wise, except I was Mother's boy. And I'm older.
..

Judy said...

NASCAR has taken all the fun out of racing. The cars, the new rules, even the safer barrier. It isn't exciting to watch anymore--no drivers having fights like in the old days. In the old days it was a rough and tumble sport, now...it is too "nice".

Cheyenne said...

NASCAR "died" the day Dale Sr. left us. If he were around half this stuff wouldn't be happening. He would have put Little Brian in his place a long time ago.