Tuesday, July 06, 2010

One Day Journal

This is going to be an ongoing project over the course of the day. It is supposed to be our hottest day yet. The temperature reached 100 yesterday. It's 11 am and already 96.

My first act of every day is to feed the inside cats and then feed the ones that are outside. The greenhouse we built for them so they would have shelter and a bit of warmth over the winter is about 10-15 (maybe more) degrees higher than it is outside. Had I stayed in there any longer I think my skin would have slid off my skeleton. The older cats are very sluggish, but the little ones (last count was 15) are like the energizer bunny; they just keep going and going till they tire and take a much needed nap. Got to recharge those batteries, you know.

From the looks of it, this it is fixing to be a hellacious day weather-wise.

1:00 PM: The temperature is currently 98 degrees outside. My cats have found cooler spots, if any are available. Best place? Under our deck on the bare ground.

We were planning on going to a folk festival today, but decided to go Thursday instead because of the hot weather this week that was forecast days ago. I am glad we changed days, because today is supposed to be the worst of this current heat wave the northeast is embroiled in. And broiling we are. I am picturing a huge snowbank right about now, with me diving into it head first. Ahhhhhh...

2:00 PM: Just hit 100 degrees. Ouch! Dreaming of Alaska...

5:30 PM: Still 100 degrees and holding. The water in the cats' bowl outside was hot, not warm like it usually is. Hot enough to maybe cause a burn it seemed. Now thinking of a tubful of ice cubes...

6:30 PM: According to the news, the Valley hit 101 degrees today. As I sit here in my air conditioned room looking out the window, I see a soft breeze rustling through the cherry tree and I think, who would ever believe it's 99 degrees outside right now?

7:00 PM: Wow, we have dropped to 95 degrees. Be honest now, do you feel that breeze?

11:30 PM: Finally some relief...86 degrees. Wednesday is supposed to be almost as bad as today. And then we get a change. I am so ready for a change. My cats outside walk around with their little tongues hanging out, so I know they are ready for some change. If only they didn't have those little fur coats...at least we can take our clothes off if we wish. No, I do not wish, I was just saying...

1 comment:

Peruby said...

Wow! We don't have it as bad here in Ohio, but it is smoldering. I feel so bad for those folks who work outside in this.