I am very opinionated and will argue a point to the nth degree. I tend to want to get to the bottom of things, so I push the envelope beyond what is expected.
Tuesday, August 23, 2011
Earthquake!
As I sat at the dining room table reading the newspaper and having a cup of coffee, my chair was being attacked it seemed. My biggest cat, Junior, usually bullies that chair and I thought he was just doing his normal thing of putting his paws at the seat edge and pushing. I told him to stop and when he didn't I looked down and all around the chair and he wasn't there. But the chair was still being pushed.
It was one of those hmmmmm moments. I looked up at the chain hanging from our overhead fan and it was dancing and jumping back and forth. But the fan was on and I thought that may be the cause of the chain's movement. Finally, I looked at my philodendron plant and the leaves were waving like a small gust of wind went through the plant. It was at that very moment when the hmmmmm became WTF.
OK, so we have huge quarries in our area with one behind our house. It's far enough away but when they blast we can feel it slightly rock the ground. But never like what I was feeling today. It felt, actually, like something big was outside the house and pushing it back and forth...so I stuck my head out the front door to see if perhaps a car kissed the house. Or maybe the Jolly Green Giant was in town and nobody told me. Nope. I then walked from room to room looking out each window to see the cause of the movement and still saw nothing.
Giving up, I sat back down and continued on with my paper and coffee. Ten minutes later the phone rang. It was my daughter. She said she had just gotten up from a long nap when her phone rang. It was her boyfriend's father calling her to tell her we just had an earthquake. Wow, I never gave that one a thought. That would have been my last guess.
I've never experienced an earthquake. Older than dirt and yet the dirt has never moved me.
I checked it out on the computer and sure enough, we had a 5.9 'quake that emanated from Virginia and was felt as far north as Rhode Island and even into parts of Canada. They are saying on the news channels that this was the strongest one we've had in a hundred years. Gosh, I feel honored.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Totally weird feeling isn't it?
Post a Comment