A few months ago I finally made up my mind to get a bread machine after all these years. I have never attempted to bake bread, but I felt that a machine that would do everything for me seemed ideal.
I used some of my reward e-cards and did not pay a single penny toward the bread maker. That way, if it didn't work I had nothing to lose since those reward cards didn't cost me anything.
And so I made my first loaf of bread. I decided to use a boxed bread mix to be safe ~ that way if anything went wrong it wasn't my fault and I could blame it on the machine.
This was my first masterpiece:
It doesn't have to be pretty to taste good.
My next foray into bread making was a boxed quick bread (pumpkin) which also turned out beyond my expectations. I used to make those in the big oven a lot but eventually stopped when energy costs started soaring. I rarely use my big oven these days since I have all kinds of small appliances that do the job.
I decided to tackle French bread using a recipe from the manual. Success! I began to feel a lot better after that. Using a boxed cake mix I again approached the machine with great apprehension but I shouldn't have worried. It was a white cake mix and eggs had to be added making it a different color but my taste buds don't know that. Once I frosted it, it looked quite tasty...and it was.
Since then I made a garlic-herb bread using my own ingredients and last week I made cornbread.
My new favorite toy not only gives me something to get excited about these days, it also fills the house with an old-time feeling of homeyness from the aroma of fresh bread wafting throughout. And it doesn't heat the house like the big oven would.
I have a lot of recipes to try, like honey-oatmeal bread, carrot bread, garlic bread, and on and on...
4 comments:
Hey, Cheyenne, I will bring over some fig preserves, you put on some coffee and we will talk old times. Not many bloggers still blog, glad to see you. (I clicked and old comment you left for me.)
If we don't have coffee, then we should blog visit. :)
..
Jim ~ What a pleasure it was to see that you posted a comment.
I don't eat figs in any shape or form but you are always welcome to bring something else. Coffee is always on so no problem there.
I love my bread machine!!!
Judy ~ How often do you use your bread machine? I make something as soon as the previous item is almost gone. Next up will be rye bread.
Post a Comment