Monday, October 30, 2006

Finding Fall Foliage

We decided that it was time to take a drive in the countryside to see the fall foliage. The end of October in our area is a suggested time. However, it helps if the sun is out, as that usually enhances the colors of the trees. Our day was drab, dreary and threatening rain. It was also chilly and quite windy. Not my type of day, but we were not going to be put off by the bad weather. The first three photos were taken at Green Lane Park which is part of the Philadelphia Reservoir. It is located in Perkiomenville which is quite some distance from Philadelphia.

Green Lane Park is actually the start of the Perkiomen Trail which goes all the way south to Oaks. The trail is 20 miles and it can be walked if anyone cares to do that. Not me. I will stick to my treadmill.

This photo was taken from a bridge. In person it is quite spectacular, and I am sure it is even nicer when the sun is shining.

This one was taken from the same bridge. If you enlarge it, you can see a swan being protected by a flock of Canada geese.

This mountain shot was taken in Vera Cruz. Pennsylvania, not Mexico. I wish.

This is the same mountain range. I especially liked this farm scene but I can't say why. It just kind of caught my eye for some reason.

We spent the entire day just driving around and occasionally we would stop if something intrigued us.
At one point we visited a new Walmart store. Alongside of it is Blommer Chocolate. They are noted for their chocolate candy and especially for their cocoa. Let me tell you, the aroma drifting through the air was absolutely marvelous. So much so, that I had to go inside Wally World to get something chocolate. I settled for a box of low carb bars made by SlimFast.

All in all we had a good time but I would have enjoyed the day much more had the sun been shining. Oh well, we can't have everything.

11 comments:

Tiredawg said...

MMMMMMMMM... someone mention chocolate??? That is some pretty countryside.

Cliff said...

You had the kind of day that we all would like to have had. I spent mine working on a John Deere disk.
Beautiful tour, Thanks!!
I saw the swan. Great pic. You must have a good camera.

Cheyenne said...

Tiredawg ~ I've said it before, Penna. does have some nice countryside but housing developments are springing up everywhere. I guess the government prefers housing to farming. Forget the fact that those people buying those houses need to eat. Duh.

Cheyenne said...

Cliff ~ Working on a John Deere is not so bad. I love farms and all aspects of them.
My camera is a Canon A520. I think it was on the market for a year and is no longer being made. One cannot keep ahead of technology these days.

Cheyenne said...

stshores24 ~ Thank you for leaving a comment. Don't be a stranger. I have visited your site many times.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh! Love the photos.

Cassandra said...

I like the farm scene too. All very nice photos, but that one is my favorite.

Oscar T. Grouch said...

we have lots of snow, and no wonderful colors like that. Looks so neat.

Peruby said...

The farm scene looks like a picture from a calendar. I like it.

Jim said...

You had a lovely ride through a lovely countryside, I can tell.
Thanks for sharing it and some of that pretty scenery with us.
..

Miki said...

Perikomen? We stayed on Perkiomen road in Reading, in the spring, for yes, a baseball tournament! The kids took the tourney, first place, against many tough teams, I think a state champ was in that bunch too. We have played many state champs lately. Anyhow, love the photos, the day didn't do the colors justice, but they were beautiful and subdued.I love the "calander" one too! It almost looks like someone plopped this color here and that color there to make it happen the way it did.