Wednesday, October 04, 2006

A New Chapter In Our Lives

No, we did not file Chapter 11. That's the best image I could find for this post. Sorry if I got you all excited.

Life is filled with many chapters. Some people just have more than others. Some chapters are good, some not so good, depending on how you look at them and life itself.

My husband and I are starting a new chapter. You know how they say the best is yet to come? Well, we are hoping that time is here, now. As of October 2nd, we are both officially retired and because it's so new for us, having never done it before, we are not sure whether it's good or bad. I'm sure it will take some time for us to adjust. Maybe, maybe not.

Neither of us chose to take retirement at this time of our lives. I had a lot of good years left in me to stay in the workforce, as did my husband. But there's something about young people these days not being able to work with or deal with people older than they are. It's like they don't even want to be around them.

I used to laugh at that idea when I was just starting out way back when. But older folk were so different back then compared to people of the same age today. Like 100 years different.

We're not ready to be put out to pasture. We're not ready to be brushed aside as if we don't exist. We are a force to be reckoned with.

It took me many months, well actually a whole year, until I was able to reconcile with the fact that I was no longer working. It's hard to get over a certain routine. But my reconciliation had more to do with just a routine.

I was angry. So angry that I started this blog and tried to rid my anger here. It didn't work. Not until I wrote my first anniversary post. That's when all the anger finally left me.

I fully expected my husband to be angry after he visited his former workplace to turn in the key to his tractor trailer. He lost his job because of a very young (under 25) female manager of one of those coffee franchises (starts with an S and ends with an S). It seems she didn't like his sense of humor last Thursday when he made a delivery there. She called her corporate headquarters and they in turn called my husband's corporate headquarters. He never stood a chance. You see, the trucking company we both worked for has to cater to that coffee company and treat them with kid gloves.

I have no idea what went wrong with her and I can only think she was having a bad day. Either that or she is simply a man hater. Yeah, that makes sense. My husband has a terrific sense of humor, and he got along with everyone, including all his customers. And to tell the truth, I would love to pay her a little visit. Say hello to my little friend.

So we closed one chapter and move on to the next. I'm sure it will be quite painless. Our house and both vehicles are paid for. We have no credit card debt. We are now free to come and go as we please. No alarm clocks. No deadlines. And this winter when it snows we can stand inside our house and watch all the other lunatics trying to get to their place of work. And we will finally have the last laugh.

6 comments:

Jim said...

Cheyenne, those [starts with b and ends with s for that game]! All of them. Some times life just isn't fair. I may write on that some day.
You can write the book I should have about retirement. Already you found one good thing. Watch the morning weather and say 'I'm sure glad I'm not going to work today.'
Something you'll find real quick, him being home will distrupt your routine. Mrs. Jim used to be finished with house work by nine, sometimes now that I'm here she hasn't even finished her third cup of coffee yet by nine!
Keep us posted. Best of wishes. Enjoy it, because that's what it is. You can dream about a new career, some get one. I didn't, and I haven't even earned one cent since I retired, not even from jury duty. We'll make it for a while spending the kid's inheritance.
..

Tiredawg said...

Just think, you both will have time to soend in the "afternoons" now. You know simply "delightful". Go Yankees!!!

Miki said...

Maybe you and your husband will have a lot to do! I had my husband here for over a year, not by his or my choice, he has cancer, and now that he is ready to work again, I miss him. Strange how "old" routines become past routines, and how when youo make new ones, they stick. Happy retirement to both of you! Enjoy your time together, plant a garden and sow the seeds, it will be a fun chapter in your lives!

Andrew McAllister said...

Congratulations on your retirements. You'll probably be busier than ever, but it'll be fun stuff (hopefully).

Andrew ("To Love, Honor and Dismay")

Rachel said...

"Say hello to your little friend"

I would not want to be in her shoes if you ever get to meet up with her!!

I'm sorry this happened but it sounds like you are looking on the bright side and that is good. Enjoy the time together, take some fun trips, and enjoy each other's company.

Cheyenne said...

Hey guys, thank you all for the nice comments. We will be fine and we will enjoy every minute of it. Hopefully we will be together on this good earth for a long, long time.