Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Boyertown Bears

Remember the day we took our truck in for service and we also had them redo the leather interior and the exterior with a special coating? Well, after we left the dealership with our trusty Enterprise Rental car (minivan), we decided to drive quite some distance to a TSC store for a spare wheel and tire for our trailer.

To get from point A to point B we had to drive through Boyertown. All along their main street they have these bears in front of various businesses. They are painted to match the businesses which I thought was kind of neat. I don't remember what the businesses were and I know I should have written them down so that I could match them up with the photos. But nobody's perfect you know.

I got a kick out of the fourth one. Abe Lincoln. The building it was in front of was a former elementary school and above the doors it reads Lincoln School so that was the tie-in there.





There were many more than these and I had already asked my husband to turn around at one point so I could photograph them, so I didn't push my luck to get all of them.

Before they got to where they are today, they were delivered to a large building by my husband when he worked for that trucking company. He only delivered a portion of them and someone else delivered the remainder. They don't weigh much and they all started out plain white.

They won't stay where they are forever and we don't know what will happen to them when it is time for them to leave. Rest assured they will not be destroyed. There is a buyer for everything these days.

5 comments:

Jim said...

Those Boyertown bears should stay where they are. In the Houston area we had cows, sponsored by a local grocery store.
They were all sold and the procedes went to a charity, I can't remember which one. One ended up in our subdivision backyard.
Minatures were sold in the stores, we bought one for Karen.
..

Tiredawg said...

Sounds cool. Sarasota did that with clowns. Ringling Museum is based there.

Trixie said...

Love the bears!

We usually have the painted cows in Texas. I have minitures of some of them.

I really like the Abe Lincoln bear too...very cute!

Rachel said...

Well, they are cute! I like that prehistoric looking one.

Oscar T. Grouch said...

those are so cool.

Edmonton had a bunch of decorated buffalos for a sporting event, that were destroyed afterwards. It was a real waste and shame.

Love the dinosaur one.