
As I sat in the waiting room contemplating my long wait (4-1/2 hours) while my husband was having his annual stress test, I had ample time to think about a lot of things.
Foremost and above all, the one thing on my mind almost 100% of the time is Dale Jr. I worry about him as a mother does her only son. (I only have one daughter.) Dale Jr, to me, seems to be the type that needs to be "mothered." And I mean that in a nice way, not a perverted way. The fact that he already has a mother doesn't bother me ~ I can share.
Last year my biggest worriment was whether he'd make it to the end of any given race. Mostly, he did not. I don't think that is something I have to worry about this year. However, I am prone to worrying somewhat, so it's obvious I have to find something new to occupy the worry portion of my brain, if there is such a thing.
And so, while sitting in that waiting room, I tried to think of something new to worry about where Dale Jr is concerned. Try as I might, I couldn't come up with anything ~ and that's a good thing because:
He's in good hands
He's got a good boss, good teammates, and good equipment
He's got a strong family base that stands behind him 100% no matter what decisions he makes
He's blessed with a smart and wonderful sister who guides him most of the way
And the most important thing in my mind that he has is:
JR NATION
We fans love him like a son, friend, nephew, brother etc. He means so much to us that we sometimes feel he's actually a part of our families. It's hard to explain why. It just is. And other drivers' fans never have been able to understand that. I doubt they ever will.
All I can say is, you have to be a Dale Jr fan to fully understand it. And once you do, there's no going back. Once you've become a Dale Jr fan (and I mean a fully-committed-I'll-never-leave-him-he'll-always-be-my-driver-fan), then and only then will you really, really understand what I am trying to say.
It's a phenomenon I have yet to decipher myself, and I don't think I want to. So for those of you who are reading this and aren't a fan of his, all I ask of you is to try it, you might like it. And like I said, once you're hooked, there's no going back. Just relax and enjoy the ride. I am.
4 comments:
Hi Cheyenne. I'm not following NASCAR much in the off season, so I don't have any favorites yet.
Dale can make the grade, I'm impressed with him the most so far.
He needs some better fortune.
Mrs. Jim plays golf or bridge while I do my stress tests. I must scare her driving into the Houston Medical Center.
Once in a while she drops me off and goes shopping.
..
Hope your husband gets a good report on his stress test.
You know I'm not a NASCAR fan, but I do know that you are Jr's biggest fan!
Jim ~ Thanks for the thumbs up on Dale Jr.
In the past my husband's stress tests have always been around 2-1/2hrs, so I always sat and waited. They told me it would be 4-1/2 hrs and I didn't believe them. My bad.
Rachel ~ The results are in and he passed. It was even better than the one he had 2 yrs. ago. Whew!
Yes, I consider myself to be one of Jr's biggest fans, but I know there are thousands of others out there just like me.
Post a Comment