The good news is, my husband will probably be coming home today. He was supposed to come home Monday but I sort of kind of manipulated another day out of them since I didn't think he was ready to leave the safe cocoon of the hospital. And here's my reasoning for that: knee operations as he had usually are done on a Thursday or Friday (the same day they are admitted) and the patient is released three days later. That is the standard most insurance companies have set. If the surgeon feels the patient is not ready to be released, he may ask for an extension. As far as I know that was not done for my husband.
Since his hospital stay included Easter and the hospital staff was reduced tremendously, I felt he needed that extra day. I spent a lot of time in the hospital on Easter and it was like being in the twilight zone...very few nurses or associates. Doctors weren't anywhere to be found although my husband's surgeon had been in to see him Easter morning.
My husband called me yesterday morning telling me they were discussing his release. I told him I felt he was not ready to be released so he mentioned something to the caseworker that was there when he called me, and I guess that kind of threw a monkey wrench into their plans. I had other plans. After all, it would be my problem once he was home and if anything happened, what would I do? I am helpless in that department. I've been a secretary all my life, not a nurse or aide for that matter.
On Monday I decided I would go in later than usual (past the normal release time) and when I arrived he was sleeping (of course...he's good at that) and no one was around. When he woke up I asked him what the deal was and he said they would let him know later. Finally around 4-ish someone arrived with a male associate and she was telling him everything she knew about my husband. She interjected at one point that he was going to rehab but she did not have a bed for him. I waited till she was done with her litany and told her that technically he could go home. She said, yes he could. That is when I said he would be doing that on Tuesday (today). I told her there was a misunderstanding about him going to rehab. He had told me he didn't want to go in the first place. We did that the first time he had his knee operated on and the parking is horrendous. It's at another hospital in town and they have one postage stamp lot for parking. Right across the street from the hospital is the fair grounds. But you can't park there. That's strictly for staff. Try parking there and you risk getting a ticket. I've never had a ticket in my life and I don't want one now.
So I will probably be bringing him home later today. The fun part is just beginning. The pain pills, the dressing, the staples being removed after 13-14 days, and the rehab visits. Oh, I just love those. What a pain. Three times a week, three co-pays. The last time he had this knee done he went to his surgeon's rehab but that is 9.5 miles from the house one way and with the price of gas these days, we must be more conservative so we are going to go to a rehab center closer to home. I think it's only three or four miles one way. The shoe is on the other foot: I am now the chauffer.
Wish me luck.
4 comments:
Good luck! Sounds like the next week or so are not going to be fun for either of you - especially him. Ouch.
The main thing is that the surgery was successful. When will they know that?
His surgery sounds like a mixture of the two of mine. After the first, they were determined I was going to rehab - some 25 miles from home. I wanted to go home.
The second was Memorial Day. The nurses were great and helped me get released. We got the doctor from what I believe was a party.
I hope his surgery was successful. I hope this is the last one!
Hugs to you as he rehabs!
Marti ~ It is considered successful now. Once the staples come out and he can walk better will tell the real story. And, yes, the next few weeks will try my patience beyond infinity.
Grandma K ~ They almost changed their mind and were going to send him to another rehab facility. I near blew my top. Then they made him walk to the therapy room where he performed different things and he passed with flyhing colors. He is now safe in his own home and bed as I type this.
Post a Comment