Thursday, April 28, 2011

Updates: The Other Half And The Kittens

Husband had his first physical therapy session today away from the hospital. It went well. The therapist was quite amazed at how well it went. You see, my husband did not want the pain pills he was getting in the hospital. You know the ones...they are loaded with narcotics. If there is one thing he absolutely detests, it is narcotics. Yes, he tolerated them the first two knee operations, but this time he put his foot down. So to speak.

He was sent home with two prescriptions: one for the Oxy and one for the Perco (I have cut them short for obvious reasons).  Needless to say I did not have them filled. Instead, the visiting nurse called a prescription in to our pharmacy for the non-narcotic pain pill, tramadol. He discovered that medication for pain three years ago with the second knee operation after they had started him on the narcotics. I couldn't pick the pills up yesterday because it was too late, so this morning off I went in a terrible thunderstorm rife with tornado warnings. Someone had to do it, and since I was the only one available I got elected. That's my job now till he can drive. Nerts.

The physical therapist was amazed how well he was tolerating any pain he may have. I told the man that he has been in pain for so long he doesn't know the difference now that there is a different type of pain in that area. Mr. PT just shook his head. He was also amazed that husband has not used ice and that his knee has hardly any swelling, but he did advise to start icing 20 minutes per hour.

And the biggest amazement? how well husband did after being put through the paces of the initial exercises. He surprised both of us, as we stood with mouths agape. That's my little soldier, and besides what else would one expect out of a person that is half German and half Russian?  Nothing less than what he delivered.

***************

When I went out to feed the cats this morning I was surprised to see that two of the kittens were back. And not in the same box they were in when they left. The older red one and the younger black and white one were still there tonight when I fed again. Missing in action is the older calico and the younger red and white one. And, of course, the older black one that the mother took in a different direction. Thank goodness there is such a difference in their sizes so that I can keep tabs on who belongs to who (whom?), although that doesn't seem to matter either. It looks like the cat that had the younger ones is also taking care of the older ones. Time will tell whether all of them made it through these terrible storms we are having.

2 comments:

Peruby said...

Wow! That is amazing. So glad it went well for your husband. I can't abide pain pills either. I will have to remember that one that is non-narcotic. The narcotic ones make me (and my daughter) sick to our stomach.

Grandma K said...

I wish I could say that I got by with no pain pills! But I agree with the statement - he had been in so much pain. I didn't really realize how much until the replacement that I was so terrified of because of the associated pain!

Oh how I keep praying these storms will dissipate. We certainly could use a bit of rain, but not with all the extra stuff you could get.