Thursday, May 25, 2006

My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys


I grew up on Westerns. I am still a big fan of them. I wear Western boots most of the time. So does my husband.

Every Saturday when I was a kid and a teenager my oldest cousin would take me to the local theater to catch the latest Western that was showing there. As a result I saw a lot of them. I had a lot of heroes but my all-time favorite back then was Roy Rogers.

TV Westerns? You bet. I watched practically all of them. And there were a lot. I was in heaven. Till the Western genre dried up. Then I wasn't so happy. Westerns also started disappearing from the big screen.

I watched Brokeback Mountain a few days ago and I must say, I will never look at cowboys the same way. I loved the movie ~ very poignant and yes, I cried at the end. I'm a Heath Ledger fan (I discovered him in A Knight's Tale, one of my all-time favorite movies) so that helped me to be able to digest the content of the film.

It certainly changed my way of thinking about cowboys though. Perhaps a better title for this post would have been "Mama, don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys."

10 comments:

Peruby said...

I posted to my blog this evening before I read yours. Too funny. I watched Brokeback for the second time this evening. I cried, too. This time around.

I loved Heath in "A Knight's Tale" but I enjoyed watching Paul Bettany. (wink, wink)

My heroes were all the dark-haired cowboys in the westerns. My very favorite being James Stacey on Lancer.

Rachel said...

I grew up loving the westerns too. One of my favorites was "High Chapperol." Not sure I spelled it right. I also loved Bonanza, Rawhide (that wonderful Wishbone!), The Rifleman, and like you, Roy Rogers was my favorite. I always loved him and Dale Evans and Trigger and Bullet of course!!

Have you ever read their book about their lives? It is so inspiring.

Jim said...

Well. I have lived in Texas for fifty years and only have one pair of cowboy boots. They hurt my feet.

My podiatrist said I should only wear athletic trainer shoes with arch supports, so that's what I wear.

Tennies are the most popular shoe in Texas.

Do you remember the "Dean of Cowboy Stars," Hoot Gibson? He was born in Tekamah, Nebraska, Cliff's home and the town where I went to high school.

Hoot was older than me, born on August 6, 1892, in Tekamah. I was born January, 1, 1902--check my 'profile.'

I used to read Zane Grey books if that counts.
..

Tiredawg said...

No horses were "hurt" during the making of this film right? Wasn't this the film Jeffy and JJ were to "stunt" double in?

Cheyenne said...

If it was a Western, I watched it...including Lancer. I don't know Paul Bettany, but I will check him out.

Cheyenne said...

Rachel ~ I remember High Chapperal too. I liked the Mexican in that one. Can't remember his name but I will look it up also. Ah, Rawhide, and Rowdy Yates (Clint Eastwood). Another good one. I watched The Rifleman (for the kid) but I never cared for Chuck Connors. No I have never read the Rogers' book.

Cheyenne said...

Jim ~ My husband was once told by his doctor that Western (cowboy) boots are the best thing for the feet. If they hurt your feet then they are not the right size.
I wear sneakers in the summer too.
Hoot Gibson? Only heard of him because he was my father's favorite. I have never seen any of his movies.
I think I read all the Zane Grey books that he wrote.

Cheyenne said...

Tiredawg ~ I can always count on you to make me laugh.
Stunt doubles? No No No, that movie was based on their lives don't you know.

Cassandra said...

I was sooooo worried about Elliott when they didn't show him get up and you couldn't see him in the crowd. And then when they said he might have hit his head I was worried that he might not be able to race! Sounds like he will and we will probably hear the full story tomorrow. Poor Elliott!

Peruby said...

Paul Bettany was the one walking along the road naked in "A Knights Tale" Not really my type but I didn't mind the scenery.