Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Should It Stay or Should It Go?


I must decide what goes and what stays ~ and where to put what stays.

I throw things out on a daily basis mostly. But then "stuff" comes in on a daily basis via the U.S. mail. Like magazines and catalogs I never asked/sent for. Catalogs that state "This could be your last catalog unless you place an order now." And I never do. But they just keep sending them anyway. Why? Can't they take a hint?

But that's just a tiny amount of my clutter. I hate to throw anything out, really. Like my Mom used to always say "You never know when you're going to need it." Except that some of the things haven't been needed in so long that they are now possibly antiques.

But I am slowly coming to terms with throwing things out. We have what I call a third bedroom. It is anything but. Last year I actually cleared it out. However, my living room suffered because that was my "staging area." The boxes of things I put there were just by the front door, ready to go to wherever they needed to go. I don't have to tell you that they never left the house. Just where did they go? Back into the third bedroom. Why? Because it was Christmas and we needed space to put the tree by the front window of that room. Back to square one. Oh, but at least now the things are in boxes.

Sometimes it just overwhelms me tremendously. Needless to say, the stuff must go this summer.

We used to go to yard/garage sales. A lot. And we bought. A lot. And I thought, why am I doing this when I have enough of my own stuff to get rid of. So we stopped going to them. Best decision I ever made. Well, almost the best.

My house is not messy, it's just not "everything in its place" tidy. I have what you call organized clutter. And I do intend to conquer this problem of mine. But how can I do that when one thing goes and another takes its place?

While getting my thoughts together for the subject matter, I Googled "clutter" images and this is what I found:


I damn near laughed my ass off. And that's a lot of laughing.

6 comments:

Peruby said...

Oh, thank God! Somebody else that has good intentions, but there they sit. The boxes the bags.I also move them from room to room. Someday, I say, someday. Sigh.

Tiredawg said...

And they say I am a procrastinator. Hmmmmmm should we load up ALL our trucks and meet for a picnic lets clean the shizzit out of Cheyenne's junk party.

Tiredawg said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rachel said...

I also have too much clutter and I do go to yard sales sometimes and bring home more "stuff." Sigh.

However I am planning to have a yard sale of my own this year to try and get rid of some of it.

Cassandra said...

Oh yes, I grew up with parents with that "You never know when you're going to need it" mentality. After trying decide if I needed a bigger apartment, I decided I needed less clutter. It's taking me a few years, but I have very little clutter know. I also had to ask family and friends to not buy knick-knacks as gifts for me for Christmas and Birthday, etc. More clutter. Just keep working at it a little at a time and maybe check out flylady.net, that site helps break it down some so it's not so overwhelming.

Thanks for the note about the cheater on the fox polls. We were still determined to not have Elliott be beaten by Jeffie, but alas we lost by only a few percentage points. I won't bother with the thing the rest of the season.

Cassandra said...

Oh ya, I already checked just too see and DJ has 83% of the vote with over 200,000 votes cast already.